About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Going Back To Basics In A Different Way.

1,655 posts (admin)
Thu Feb 16, 23 11:15 PM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Going Back to Basics in a different way., this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

R
1 posts
Thu Feb 16, 23 11:59 PM CST

Donna, I am so sorry that you and Charles have been sick, I do hope you continue to get stronger each day. I also hope your pacemaker journey goes well. 

I am so excited for this post! I actually prefer your simple living posts over the studies, although I enjoy anything that you post and have read your blog for 6 or 7 years. Your enthusiasm for simple living comes across in a comforting way, like an old friend. Please take your time to rest and recover. We will be here when you come back.  Also, sorry for the demise of your trees...your lemon was so beautiful!

S
3 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 12:12 AM CST

I am so sorry to hear about your struggles since having Covid and the stress of waiting for the pacemaker. Well done on putting yourself and your family first by taking a step back and adjusting your priorities at this time- I know that it must have been a difficult decision.

I also love reading your everyday simple living posts and know that the efforts you have made with your studies so far will have had such a beneficial effect for so many including myself, thank-you! Take care of yourself and Charles- you both are what is most important 

D
3 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 12:25 AM CST

Donna,

Robin S put it just perfectly how I feel about your change of direction.  I too love your simple living posts, as well as, anything you write.  I grew up in the 50's and will be just at home with that time period.  My husband felt like this was the best time in his life.  He missed the cars, the music and the clothing and hair styles from this time and how as a family they just used a skeleton key to lock the front door without fear of a break in.  This time period wasn't perfect and was harder, especially for me growing up on a farm, but there were less distractions and complications.  All this made us appreciate what we had because things cost more.   (But then money was worth more then.)   I understand the slowing down part.  It's very hard to do but there comes a time to simplify.  

I am sorry for your health issues.  Just take care of yourselves.   Anything you do will be appreciated and enjoyed.

Edited Fri Feb 17, 23 12:35 AM by Darlene M
C
1 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 1:20 AM CST

I am new to your blog and have enjoyed it very much..  I am also sorry you haven’t been well but do understand where you are coming from.  I have been heavily involved in community theatre for over 50 years either acting, stage managing. Props and directing.  I loved every minute of it.  However,  before Christmas 2022 my husband and I caught Covid.  My husband has dementia and during our recovery I came to the conclusion that our health and  that of my 97 year old mother  were my priority.  I resigned as props manager and stepped back from the theatre group I helped form  back in 1970. I have not had a moment of regret in doing so and look forward to new challenges.  I wish you and your loved ones all the very best. 

Edited Fri Feb 17, 23 1:22 AM by Carryn M
K
66 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 1:42 AM CST

Dear Donna. I'm proud of you for making the choices you've made and think you're being very wise 

Life today is so very different with issues we've never experienced before and we all need to survive and have peace.

I hope you and Charles rest, get yourselves Into a better place with your health.

God bless you.  Karen NZ

Edited Fri Feb 17, 23 5:12 PM by Karen S
S
12 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 2:18 AM CST

Dear Donna, you are not giving up, you are doing what is best for you, and that is always a good thing. I was not especially into your time period studies, but I loved the energy I could feel you got when starting them up at the beginning of the year. I love the late forties and the fifties, and I love your simple living style, which is exactly what I need too, so just keep on doing what you do. I am sure many of us will still love it. And good luck on your operation, I send warm vibes all the way from Denmark. ?

R
3 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 4:05 AM CST

i am excited about your new adventure, and I believe I can learn many things. It was a time before things got crazy, technology took over, and the concept of  family life deteriorated. Thank you for sharing your new adventure with us

D
22 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 5:41 AM CST

I do pray that your surgery goes well and recovery is swift and complete. I kind of like that you are returning to a simpler life in the current times because it is eadifor me to relate. I am just grateful you will continue your posts??????????

H
25 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 6:14 AM CST

Donna, prayers for continued Covid recovery and a good outcome from the surgery.  As mentioned above, I also am happy you are changing time periods;).  I enjoyed learning about the depression era but didn’t commit to those changes…moving to the 1950’s, I was born in 1956, seems more familiar!   

Thank you for continuing as you can.  Love your posts because they make me think.  Your writing is lovely and has a pace to it that is relaxing, regardless of the topic.   All the best for a healthier 2023!

H
2 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 6:18 AM CST

Grandma Donna, so sorry to learn you and your husband were ill.  Please take care of yourselves and do whatever you need to in order to heal properly and get yourself well enough for your surgery.  Keeping the two of you in my thoughts and prayers.

It is amazing you were able to accomplish as  much as you did so far with all that's going on.  We will patiently wait here for your (healthy) return.

P
3 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 7:08 AM CST

Donna sorry to hear about your health issues. I too am slowing down after a lifetime of being busy.  I choose to do one big thing a day then spend the rest of the time visiting with neighbors, puttering around, kissing my grandchildren which is as it should be.  This time in our lives is the last big transition I want to enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the last 70 years.  Take care old friend. - Penny

35 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 7:56 AM CST

Oh Donna I am so sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I did remember you mentioning that you and Charles had Covid but has assumed that you both had come out the other side and were doing well.  I wasn't aware of your previous heart problems and so didn't realize how Covid might have affected that.  Many thanks to your son for his assurance that he would post to us readers about your condition following surgery.  So many times with blogs when there is a lack of postings everyone who reads gets concerned about the health of the blogger and usually there is no way to find out what the situation is.  I think we all feel as though we know you personally and will of course be concerned about you.

I'm glad to hear that you are slowing down and will be taking it easier prior to surgery, it's good to know ahead of time so you can prepare health wise for that.

Take care and stay in touch.  

Victoria 

H
3 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 8:05 AM CST

Dear Grandma Donna,

I hope you and your husband feel better soon!

I’m really exicited for your new Simple living posts!

Inspired by your writing the past years i started thinking about my grandparents life.

I (born in 1961) have warm memories of their simple but cosy home and how they lived frugal and simple but happy. 
At some point we started to change our home and way of living and are so happy we did.

So i wil really enjoy reading your posts about the 50’s and 60’s.

Just can’t wait!

All the very best for you and your husband.

Heidi (The Netherlands 

C
22 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 8:13 AM CST

We are all here for you, gDonna. I have been reading your blog for several years now and you are like a neighbor to me. Of course, we wish you a speedy recovery from your heart procedure; and that you continue healing from the awful Covid virus. Don't worry that you are not able to do as much; it is perfectly understandable and you must take care of yourselves properly FIRST.

I always look forward to your posts as I am certain that the rest of us do; but I am now able to get caught up on those I did not have time to thoroughly read.

The fifties were probably, in my opinion, one of the best times to live. There was prosperity after a war; a little more of the homely comforts were available to people; homes were being built, jobs became plentiful; and education was widely available to more folk. It was a time of general peace and prosperity. It is a fine era to cover; and still retain the frugality and care principles of the older ways; which were not that long gone before. 

Take care again; and I offer prayers and good thoughts for both of you now and through your surgery. You will be back with us in no time!

A
7 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 8:39 AM CST

Good morning--

I am so sorry you and Charles have been having health issues.  Not sure how we have escaped Covid so far---seems we are in the minority.  Good luck with the pacemaker issues.

I did enjoy all of your studies for various reasons.  I am not sure I could have "lived it" as you did.  But I adored the journey with you through words and pictures.  The diaries were my least favorite as they seemed repetitive in a way.  I guess life is like that in some ways---daily living is fairly routine.

My grandparents were born in 1897 and 1900 and lived till age 92.  Parents were born in 1925 and lived till age 95.  I was born in 1947 and my hubby in 1943, so I will love the 50's and 60's.  We are noticing the slowing down in our bodies, but still try to stay active.  

I feel sad that Rhonda H. is no longer blogging.  She was my first inspiration to simple living.  I think I found you through her.  Do you still plan on spending time at your little cottage?

Be well, and I willlook forward to your new adventures in simple living.  Jane xxx

C
10 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 9:10 AM CST

Grandma Donna,

I am so sorry that you haven't been feeling well. I have followed you for years. I even sent two emails a few years ago and you responded both times. While I haven't been able to live like a simpler time, I have always enjoyed your posts. They bring such a sense of peace and tranquility. Reading your posts felt like I was spending time with my own grandmother and they have made me rethink some things in my own life and home.  I am glad you are putting your health first and doing what you need to do. Just know that I will be praying for you and Charles and always wish you the best.  I look forward to reading whatever you choose to write about.

All the best,

Carol from Tennessee

K
40 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 9:29 AM CST

Grandma Donna,

I am very sorry to hear you both had Covid. The residual can be so hard and it can take such a bit to bounce back. Rest and take care of yourselves!

I like the direction you're taking and once again, are leading us down the right path. You have gleaned what works from the Depression study and are using that information to build the right life for you and Charles. Isn't that just what we all should be doing? We pull what works and discard what doesn't. Thank you for being our champion.

Sending healing prayers your way.

A
41 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 9:40 AM CST

Please don't apologize. You have to do what is good for you!  I will pray for you, both your health and your pacemaker issue.  I actually miss your personal experiences.  It's what gave me huge peace  while reading your entire blog.  So 1950's or 1930's, it's all a simpler time relative to the chaos of our current times!  I couldn't do all you do in one day!  I'm the "type B" person, but I do wake with an excitement - something that has to give me purpose and that could be dejunking, finding a new hobby, like sewing, rearranging, cooking (using some of your recipes) or just reading about simpler things/times.  We all have to do what works for each one of us and all I can do it thank you for giving me the peace while reading your blog - something I haven't had in years.  In fact just the other day I was thinking of going back through again from start to finish, because I'm missing that peace I had while reading your blog.  Always be here reading no matter what it is.  Prayers for healing.   

A
97 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 9:49 AM CST

Grandma Donna and Charles I'm so sorry to hear about everything from the beautiful trees to how your both feeling. We will keep you in our prayers until we hear your both doing better. Sometimes everyone needs a good break and boy you two have sure done a lot for all of us which we are so thankful.

Just a thought about the PO box. When we were opening ours we found that if we went to the next town over it was a massive price difference and if we went to a private mail place instead of the USPS there was another big savings too. Ours just renewed for a fairly cheap price while other ones around jumped up quite a bit. Hopefully that will help and you could keep it open since so many send cards and letters. 

Feel better soon and get some good rest-Love from our family. :)

D
15 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 10:24 AM CST

awww so sorry to hear about the health issues!  Covid really does zap your strength for quite awhile, you’ll think you feel real good then suddenly have to lay down awhile.   I hate about the pacemaker again.  One “advantage” if one could ever call it such is you know what to expect.  I made a simple cushion for a friend to use on the car that went under the seat belt and over the incision area and under a bra strap when you get to that point.  You might consider those if you didn’t already discover that from the past go.      You know, taking care of your family is really the main lesson one learns looking at the depression, I think.  It is all about survival.  And survival is all about carefully evaluating what you are doing and what is at hand to find what is most expedient for your family.  So you ARE applying what you have learned.  I too have loved learning from your simple life posts.  Maybe as you move into this as you are preparing for recuperating you can do some more on simple meals?  And possibly on how you streamline meal prep to accommodate your needs in that category?   Please let us know when surgery is near so e can pray for you

L
44 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 11:50 AM CST

First, Oh My!  I wish you both many prayers and blessings.

Second, you have been such an encouragement to so many of us.  Regardless of what decade you practice (is that how to say that?) your simple principals bring forth a grounding we need so desperately in today's crazy world.  It's that gentle reminder and is much appreciated.

Again, thank you for all you share.  Enjoy that Ruth making process

s
14 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 12:27 PM CST

Really sorry to hear about your health challenges.  

I have been reading your blog for a long time and have thoroughly enjoyed it and also our occasional correspondence.   This blog has meant a lot of to me and continues to do so.  In fact, at the beginning of the whole covid isolation, I reread every blog on living like the past.  It just gave me some comfort and security. And it has also taught me many practical things about reaching into my own heritage for connection and recreating skills.  I am never going to live completely like the 1930s or even the 1950s.  For one, I work full time, am a single parent, and am likely to be starting a new graduate program shortly. However, I use so many old skills to live a better and a more fulfilling life and also to save money, stay healthier, and, perhaps most importantly, to increase my own freedom from participating in an unsustainable economic system.  Even my 19 year old generally approves of our "old fashioned" home as it gives comfort and structure and very tasty homemade food.  

I think that one of the most useful things that I learned from you come from your phrase "less grid" - not off grid, just less.   It has impacted our life in  number of ways which help us live one foot in modern world and one foot back in time.  

You have a place in my heart across the miles and I wish you all the best with your health and look forward to more blog posts.  I always feel as excited about your new posts as I would about a handwritten letter - I get a cup of tea, sit down to read it and then read it over again.  Blessings to you both.

G
269 posts (admin)
Fri Feb 17, 23 12:40 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, thank you all for your wonderful and encouraging comments.  It helps me to feel good about my decision.  I feel better today walking around our home thinking about the 1950s and thinking about what we had in our home during the 50's, and what we did not have.  :)  I think this might help me finish some areas that I never finish organizing because I do not know what to do with these items that I don't want to get rid of.  I feel everyone can relate to this organizing issue.  

E
12 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 1:28 PM CST

I am so sorry you and Charles have been sick and also that as you try and recover, you are dealing with your heart issues.  Sending you many good wishes during this stressful time.  Taking care of yourselves and each other, and getting the rest you need, is the most important thing right now.  

Thank you for all that you have shared with us over the years of your blog.  I have been a reader for many years. Your words have been important to me, and as a result, to my family and friends, too.  Your influence has been wide and your hard work such a blessing.  I can't wait to see what's ahead!  Take good care.  We are all thinking of you.  

Elizabeth
K
12 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 1:29 PM CST

Dear G Donna,

So very sorry to read of all your health issues. Just two years ago this month, I had a valve replacement and haven’t had much trouble with it. May your procedure go as well. The worst thing was, because of Covid, the hospital did not allow visitors, not even my husband. That’s one time cell phones were a blessing. As long as they were charged, we could talk to each at length several times a day. Don’t give a second thought to “giving up the 1930s.” You have to do what’s right for you. Just as others have stated, I enjoy your take on simple/simpler living. 

I, too, am a ‘50s baby (1953), and remember much of life then. Both my parents had to work. Daddy had joined the Navy but just missed the Korean War. On his discharge, jobs were hard to find for a while. When I turned 5, he became a firefighter and worked for 30 years. Mom (your mother’s picture reminded me of her) worked various low-wage jobs (what was available to someone with no high school diploma). They determined I was to go to college which, though expensive, wasn’t as horrendous as now. 

Also, I’m sorry about your lemon tree. It was lovely. However, if its demise will provide a more convenient clothes-hanging space, it must’ve been “meant to be.” 

Do take care of yourself. Charles and the rest of your family will be such comforts for you. Glad to hear your son will keep us posted on your progress. Though we’ve never met, many of us, near and far, care about you and are sending our prayers and best wishes

Edited Fri Feb 17, 23 1:32 PM by Kathy D
C
8 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 1:34 PM CST

I enjoy your posts.  It will be fun reading about what you are doing when you post.  Your posts are always so encouraging and help me to save money.  That is what keeps me coming back no matter what decade you do or don't do.  I learn something or are encouraged every time I read here.  Thank you.  I will pray for you and Charles to feel better and to get stronger.  Also for your pacemaker surgery.  You are a blessing to me!

B
33 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 2:14 PM CST

Donna,

Like the others I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope the surgery will go well and you will make a speedy recovery. I am glad that you are going to slow down some and take care of your health. I hope you will rest up as much as you need to. I think a lot of the readers of your post are probably over 60 and will appreciate that you have given up the Great Depression study and gone on to something easier. Life is so hard in various ways nowadays that it seems we shouldn't make it harder than it already is, or needs to be. The 1950s seems like it was a time of optimism and a hope of even better things to come. It seems that with all that people have been through with Covid, natural disasters, crime, financial struggles, and whatever else assails us it would be nice to go to a more optimistic period. Last year you did the 1940s study so it is a natural progression to go on to the 1950s - 1960s era now. I think most of your readers can probably relate a lot better to the 1950s - 1960s era as many of them actually lived in this time period.

I was born in 1959 and I remember the 1960s as a wonderful time in some ways. We wandered the neighborhood without supervision. Where we lived there was very little crime. It was indeed a much simpler time. We didn't have a lot of clutter in our house. People didn't feel compelled to buy so much stuff. People actually lived life without being tied to some kind of device. I remember that T.V. went off the air at night. I think it was at midnight and all you could watch was the test pattern after that. Of course, most everyone was probably in bed by that time anyhow.

I will look forward to your simple living posts. It's not like we have to feel like we are living any specific decade. I don't think we need to worry about whether they had something in the 50s or 60s and be like what are we going to do about that? We can't bring back the party line or other things from the past so we can't actually relive the past but we can take the lessons we have learned from all of the past and use what works for us to make our lives better and simpler. If we want to use a dishwasher, an air conditioner, or other modern appliances let us enjoy them and be grateful that we have them. It isn't like we have to be enamored with all the latest devices and contrivances but we can enjoy the things that truly made life easier for women. Using the modern appliances would have made it easier for women to do the things that were more important, like spending time with their families or helping others. The modern appliances could have actually contributed to the wonderful values that many of us remember from that time period. Most likely we already own these modern appliances so it isn't like we have to go in debt for them or run out and buy them. We can make it our aim to enjoy the conveniences that we have and be grateful for them, without thinking we always need the latest and greatest thing. We can still be frugal and live a simple life. We can just do it a bit easier. Using our modern appliances could give us more time for other things to live a simple life such as gardening, foraging, making soap, or doing crafts. Also doing something the old fashioned way doesn't always make the end result any better. For example, whether I wash my clothes in the washing machine or wash them by hand they get clean either way. I don't gain much benefit other than exercise from doing them by hand and I could have spent that time gardening or doing something else to contribute to my frugal lifestyle. Or if I use a dishwasher I may be even more likely to do canning since I know the cleanup will be so much easier. Of course, we may enjoy things like hanging our clothes out on the line so we don't have to use any modern conveniences if we don't want to or if we can't afford it. Donna, I hope you will be able to relax and enjoy this new era. Anything that you post will be much appreciated by all of us. To me it isn't about being in a specific time period; what matters is embracing the more traditional values from the past. Being frugal, living simple, keeping our houses clean, practicing our faith, enjoying friendships and family relationships are what counts. I hope that we will practice gratitude and show appreciation for all that we have.

Becky Sue

P.S. I've attached a picture of my retro refrigerator.

Attached Photos

G
17 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 2:28 PM CST

Donna, 

Based on all of the comments I just read, it is obvious that you are loved and wished well, no matter what decisions you need to make going forward.  Like many have written, I have simply enjoyed your writing, whether it was simple living, recipes, organizing, history studies, etc.....  You have a way about you that helps bring peace and comfort in a crazy world and since 2011 or 2012, I have looked forward to each of your posts.  

As with the others, I wish you and Charles well in recovering fully from COVID and dealing with your heart issue and upcoming surgery.  My prayer is for a swift and complete recovery and many years ahead to enjoy your simple living together.  God bless. 

20 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 3:37 PM CST

Dear Grandma Donna,

I just wanted to say a little prayer: Dear Lord please help Donna and Charles to completely recover from Covid. Please restore their strength and vitality. Help them to rest when they need to. Please bring our dear Donna safely through the upcoming pacemaker surgery. We all care deeply for her. May you bless and protect them both ~ In Jesus name, amen. 

~ Linda

G
269 posts (admin)
Fri Feb 17, 23 3:50 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, thank you all for the lovely comments, thank you Linda for the prayer.  You all are saying such kind things and inspire me to keep on.  I am reading my comments and emails as well.  Thank you for your well wishes and for letting me know what my blog has meant to you.  

I cannot take all the credit because I pray before I write a  blog post and ask God to use me as a tool to write something that someone needs to hear or something helpful.  I also pray for Wisdom.  My blog has helped me to find normal in a mixed up world and not only do you all read what I write, I have learned much from you as well.  Right here now in this forum we are from all over the world, yet we have similar interest and most of us are searching for calm because we truly need it at this time and we need to know how to get our homes to a place where we have a wonderful place to find respite, homemade meals and a place that we want to be.  There are many steps to achieve this and we have been learning how to do this. 

We will continue on together until we no longer can.  Love, Donna

S
92 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 4:20 PM CST

I am very sorry that you and Charles caught covid. My husband had it and it was no fun at all. :( Take your time getting well, it seems to help if you go easy. That way you don't have setbacks. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing and I'm sure they will fix you up just fine! :)

Moving to a simpler time is a wonderful idea! Best of all worlds. :) You get the simplicity and connection to others along with all the helpful modern conveniences. It's important to know how to do things ourselves and without electricity so if something happens in this uncertain world of ours we can manage without throwing our lives into a complete upheaval, which would just add more distress to a distressing situation. I truly don't understand how it is that we have come to live such insecure and stressful lives, but that's the modern world! Your blog has kept me sane through the years by always teaching me something new, a new way to have more security if something happened, plus it's just more fun to live disconnected to the internet and in real life and do things yourself most of the time. :)

They've scanned me every way possible and decided they found something else that needs fixing. I am already having to creep around slowly and carefully until they make sure all my new medication is the right kind and figure out what to do with me going forward. Now I've got a surgical consult coming up that I put off for awhile because enough is enough at one time! :) But the interesting thing is: I came to the same conclusion as you! :) Find a simpler time in life and do that, and I settled on the '60s, though the fifties would do too. :) So I am going to love your new blog direction! :) 

I am sorry about your frozen trees. We're about a month behind you so I won't know for awhile if or what I lost in the freeze. It's always sad, though, because we put so much time and energy and emotional investment into caring for our plants that it's hard when they don't make it through. You have my condolences. 

Do what you need to do to be happy. :) I am sending you much love!

G
269 posts (admin)
Fri Feb 17, 23 4:41 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Stephanie G, I sure hope that they can get you fixed up soon.  Going through another surgery so soon must feel a bit overwhelming when you not mended yet from the other surgery.  I will be praying for you that they can find everything that needs fixing and get you all healed.  I am happy that you will be moving with us to the 1950's 60's (for reference) with us living our simple lives with a few extra comforts.  I feel you had things figured out the first two weeks of the great depression study and you poured yourself into the study.  I could tell you caught on right away what it was going to take to get a good budget figured out.  Please update us on how you are doing.  Love and Prayers, Grandma Donna

I
4 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 5:00 PM CST
Grandma Donna wrote:

Grandma Donna wrote, thank you all for the lovely comments, thank you Linda for the prayer.  You all are saying such kind things and inspire me to keep on.  I am reading my comments and emails as well.  Thank you for your well wishes and for letting me know what my blog has meant to you.  

I cannot take all the credit because I pray before I write a  blog post and ask God to use me as a tool to write something that someone needs to hear or something helpful.  I also pray for Wisdom.  My blog has helped me to find normal in a mixed up world and not only do you all read what I write, I have learned much from you as well.  Right here now in this forum we are from all over the world, yet we have similar interest and most of us are searching for calm because we truly need it at this time and we need to know how to get our homes to a place where we have a wonderful place to find respite, homemade meals and a place that we want to be.  There are many steps to achieve this and we have been learning how to do this. 

Donna,

I have quit my own blog that my sister and I had for quite awhile because she passed last year...it was too much for just me.  I have left it up, and am pleased that I still get regular visitors.   My husband spent most of January in the hospital with covid; he also has heart problems so we can relate.

I have enjoyed the forums attached to your blog and hope that can continue for awhile.  I spent my early childhood in the 50's so I can relate much more to this era...we live much like that already.  It was an era when folks avoided debt and lived within their means...people felt sorry for anyone who had to get a second mortgage...now they sell them as "home equity loans".  

We wish you the best.   Sue at   The Iowa Housewife      https://iowasue.blogspot.com/

Edited Fri Feb 17, 23 5:04 PM by Iowasue D
G
269 posts (admin)
Fri Feb 17, 23 5:26 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, IowaSue D, it sounds as if you have been through a lot in the past year. Leaving the blog open for others to to read is a wonderful gift to your faithful readers and new ones that never made it there in time and can read it for the first time.   My condolences to the passing of your sister and it had to be a very difficult  time for you with loss and trying to carry on. I hope that your husband is starting to do better and I know that I will do everything I can to keep from getting it again.  Hugs, Donna 

A
97 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 7:22 PM CST
Iowasue D wrote:

Donna,

I have quit my own blog that my sister and I had for quite awhile because she passed last year...it was too much for just me.  I have left it up, and am pleased that I still get regular visitors.   My husband spent most of January in the hospital with covid; he also has heart problems so we can relate.

I have enjoyed the forums attached to your blog and hope that can continue for awhile.  I spent my early childhood in the 50's so I can relate much more to this era...we live much like that already.  It was an era when folks avoided debt and lived within their means...people felt sorry for anyone who had to get a second mortgage...now they sell them as "home equity loans".  

We wish you the best.   Sue at   The Iowa Housewife      https://iowasue.blogspot.com/

IowaSueD I have read your blog multiple times. Such a small world! I'm glad you left it up for others to see.

D
21 posts
Fri Feb 17, 23 8:18 PM CST

Dear Donna,

When I read your latest post, I felt relief. I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings, but I have been missing your simple living posts and your posts about Myrtle and the ride to her and your trips when you go with Charles to work and your "Going back to the well" posts. Those posts bring such peace and joy and calm to me. These posts are truly your calling from God. You touch so many with them.

I am a believer that things turn out the way they are supposed to in the end. I know how much you love history and research. You have tried to do the Great Depression twice now, and I think you are right, you aren't meant to do that project. You are meant to do the simple living posts. These are your strengths. And you can always bring in lessons learned from the Great Depression into your posts.

I pray for God to bring you through your surgery safe and heal your surgery quickly. I also pray for you and Charles to be completely healed from Covid. 

I'm sorry for your loss of the lemon tree, but now it opens space closer to the house to make it easier for you to hang out your laundry. A Blessing in disguise? I know you used those lemons well. Maybe you can plant another somewhere else in your yard. I hope the satsuma you have left makes it. 

I know I didn't write to you, using the P.O. Box, but it was there if I wanted to. I will miss not being able to send you a card or letter, but those prices are absolutely insane. We have a P.O. Box in our village and it cost $55 last year, for a year. If my box cost what yours does, I would close it, too! I know I can always email you.

Most of all, know how much you are loved and respected and admired. 

Sending you love and hugs and prayers~

M
5 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 12:01 AM CST

I am so sorry to hear of your health issues Donna. I hope both you and your husband recover as fully as can be and remain well. Thank you so much for what you have shared on the blog. It must take up a lot of your time. I think the best thing about living in the modern age is that we can 'cherry pick' what we like from other eras and combine it with what we have in these times to live a good and simple life without some of the hardships that would have been experienced in times gone by. We really are fortunate on that account. Take care of yourself. Michelle from Australia. xx

H
3 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 3:02 AM CST
Grandma Donna wrote:

????????

H
3 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 3:04 AM CST
Heidi K wrote:

????????

Those questionmarks were supposed to be : thumb up and a a heart !!

k
12 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 4:15 AM CST

We love you both and want you both to be well. Praying for healing for you and Charles ,and peace as you proceed with your decisions about what's next.  I enjoy whatever your posting and have learned so much from both of you. Every Friday morning I grab a cup of coffee, and sit down with your blog. I feel like were definitely kindred spirits...I am recovering from the first of two total knee replacements I will have this year. I stepped back from some pretty significant things that occupied my time away from home to focus on healing, strengthening, and resting. We will all be here waiting for you when you return, time to take care of yourselves for awhile. Karen

P
3 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 8:29 AM CST

Your posts are always so full of beauty and wonderful photos. I’m sorry you two have been sick. Prayers for a full recovery and that your pacemaker will soon be in place and doing its job. I would have cancelled the PO Box too. Yikes

S
14 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 12:03 PM CST

Dear Grandma Donna.

Firstly, wishing you and Charles a swift and total recovery, from all your health issues!

Secondly, thank you so much for all the hard work you put into researching these challenges and disseminating the information for the rest of us to share, it really is much appreciated and I'm sure we have very little comprehension of exactly how much work is involved.

Like others before me, I love hearing about your simple life and will follow you in adopting an 'era neutral' simple life.  I'm due to start a new full time job in a week or so and was apprehensive about exactly how I was going to continue to follow the 1930's lifestyle whilst working a 37 hour week (that I haven't done for a couple of decades!).  I will be doing something that I love (which will obviously help), but even so...  Being able to create a bespoke simple life will suit me much better!  Like the others I am very much looking forward to hearing all about your new 'simple life' - so practical and relevant for today's economic and environmental situations.  I truly wish you and Charles 'All the Very Best"

S
13 posts
Sat Feb 18, 23 7:56 PM CST

Dear Grandma Donna,

I hope, as all here, that you and your husband keep well and that your operation, when it happens, is successful. 

Changing to a simpler approach to your posting is entirely in keeping with your principles and very much in line with the interest of your readers, so congratulations on that decision!

I was born in 61, so very much a child of the 60s. However, my family lived on a couple of acres a reasonable distance from town, and so we were living a simple life then, more like the 40s-50s in many ways. We grew most of our own fruit and vegetables, had tank water rather than town water, we had electricity but not much running on it except lights and the mixmaster! Our milk and bread was delivered to the door daily, and everything else mum made from scratch. Dad was a cabinet maker by trade, working mostly as a carpenter and then master builder. Needless to say he built our house on his own using all manual tools in 1961. That house is still standing today!

Becky Sue K - I love that you have an old fridge like that. Refrigerators are an interesting example of simplicity wrapped in changing style and technology. So many people throw out their old fridge when they think it isn’t cooling the way it used to. Recently our 15 year old auto defrosting fridge wasn’t cooling in the fridge compartment correctly so we figured either it was iced up inside, or the compressor was on the way out, so we looked up the construction of a basic fridge to see what could be done. We removed the interior back panel of the freezer to discover that there were just 2 components that made the magic happen in the freezer, and an enclosed channel through which the freezer fan pushed the cold air to the fridge. There was just a little ice built up there which quickly melted with the back off. Popped the panel back in and the fridge temperature went quickly back down to where it should be! It could last another 15 years, or more!

Even though newer fridges appear more “up to date”, they all function with the same small components behind the scenes which probably all come out of a handful of component manufacturers. Smoke and mirrors!

Sharon 

K
48 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 1:54 AM CST

Like everyone else I’m so sorry you both caught covid and that it’s continuing to affect you. I’ve had covid twice and it’s taken me months each time to feel better. Hopefully as the weather warms up you will feel better. 
I’m so so so glad you’re going to continue with your simple living posts. I really enjoy your style of writing. I love seeing your photos. Your house is so welcoming. It’s what I want my house to look like. ( Mine is cluttered and messy and it depresses me ). 
I hope your surgery goes well. I know how stressful that can be ( My mum has heart problems - she hasn’t needed a pacemaker but did need a valve replacement some years ago ) 

Anyway just wanted you to know that you are loved and I’m so glad you have this blog and forum. 

W
14 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 3:59 PM CST

Donna, I have been a reader and occasional responder to your blog for years.  I've enjoyed each post  and happily entered into the history studies with you and all of the others.  I'll admit to struggling a bit with getting into the Depression Era study.  I couldn't "find my feet" there for some reason even though I love the 30's and 40's.  This year has been a very busy one for me.  In late January I sold my beloved house and moved into my daughters house next door.  ( Not for health reasons but my daughter and son in law need to sell this property on which their house and my mobile home sit.  Long story, I won't bore you). As soon as my daughters house sells, this spring probably, I will move with them to California.  I actually love where I am now (western Washington state) and had not planned on making another major move in my lifetime but things change and we can't always control the change.  I am blessed to have children who care for and about me.  Currently I am living in my daughters big house all alone which has taken some adjustment.  After my daughter helped me get settled in her house and prepped her house for sale, she went back to CA.  

I will be jumping back into the War Years study as that has been my favorite and feels the most comfortable for me.

Sending up prayers for you both to heal from Covid and for your upcoming pacemaker surgery.  May God richly bless you and Charles with many more comfortable years ahead.  Thank your son for me for keeping us posted about your surgery.  

Jackie 

The picture is of my sweet 1940's bedroom in my house.

Attached Photos

G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Feb 19, 23 6:20 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote,  to all, thank you for the wonderful posts and sharing your thoughts and thank you for your well wishes.  

Weaverbird (Jackie) , you have such a wonderful attitude about uprooting and going along with the changes.  I feel you will do well when you arrive to your more permanent destination.  Thank you for sharing your 1940s bedroom, that bed is very similar to our dark brown bed. :)  I hope that it does not take long to sell the property so you can get settled in California.  :)

F
13 posts
Sun Feb 19, 23 8:00 PM CST

Dear GDonna

I am sorry to read you and Charles have been ill. I hope you will feel well recovered soon and also feel rested and particularly well as it comes time for your pacemaker change. I have a pacemaker also as I have sick sinus syndrome and I have had it changed once in the 9 years I have had it as the lead had a bend in it and it was not working as it should. It was good to be on the ‘getting better’ side of that. 
I will like a focus again on living a simple life and will enjoy your telling us about your garden and your simple activities. I wonder how your other little ‘house’ is and I’ll look forward to photos. 
I hope you will enjoy slowing down again in your comfy home and relishing the simple minutes of each day. 
Today I have been preparing plums from our tree for the freezer and for a number of Plum Crumbles also to freeze. I picked green beans too which are prolific in our garden right now after threatening not to produce anything at all! It’s late summer here in the south of New Zealand and harvest has begun. 
Sending you kindest thoughts

Felicity 

J
50 posts
Mon Feb 20, 23 2:07 PM CST

As a new reader, I wish you and your husband well and look forward to your recovery.  I'm a history buff, and I have enjoyed the looks back into the past, especially the Depression, since I also have stories from my parents (m. 1939) from back then.   I love simple living as well, however, and I'm pleased that you plan to keep up with your posts on that topic.

Best wishes for you both for complete healing!

G
269 posts (admin)
Mon Feb 20, 23 5:19 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Felicity S, Plum crumbles sound interesting and yummy.  I hope the fix to unbend the lead was not anything major.  I will be getting number 4 pacemaker and my leads are old and one is not working properly and as you know those ends are scarred into the heart tissue. The doctor is deciding on what to do and has tested to see if I can do okay on one lead but if there is a problem with the other lead then it will be more to it all.  I hope that it will be an easy fix and just a normal replacement surgery which as you know is a matter of a few days of pain and then resting and being careful with the left arm or the side it is on.  And for me being patient long enough with not lifting things or pushing furniture and such as that.  lol I am looking forward to posting regular posts.  I will finish the diary of Sarah's because it is such a interesting diary all the way to the end.

Joan S, thank you for the well wishes. All of the studies will be applied to our new phase because I was young when I lived through the time span we will be settling in 1947- 1965 ish.  I am an older adult now and and at my age living during this time I bring a lot of knowledge being that I would have been born in the 1880s.  When I was young I never understood this about my older family that I loved so much.  I was too young to know to ask them how it was when they lived long ago.  I will be glad with my do over living "Like" not "In" the time I once lived but now older.  I have been going around trying all I can to remember what we had in our house and what we did not.  I want this simple life and will make it happen and write about it.  :)

« Previous Page 1  2 Next Page  » 
56 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close