Comments On Article: But What If It Does
Margaret P. ... interesting that your brother and cousin connected. I have a cousin who was in hospital having given birth to a dd. The woman who shared her room had also given birth to a dd. Cousin had named the baby after a great-grandmother and the other woman named her dd the same name and after discussion it turned out our g-grandmother was a great-aunt to the other lady.
I've gotten distracted from 1942 lately concentrating instead of updating my pantry preps. I'm mostly satisfied with where I am with my preps, so I need to get back to that subject and look up some of the resources others have shared. In a way prepping for winter is a very 1942 thing to do especially for my ancestors who were small town or farm people.
Have been spending some time with my stock up lists, gift lists and matching digital coupons and 5 off 25 coupons to purchase needs from the lists.
I am giving baskets of needed goods to family for Christmas and detergent is on the lists, the baskets will also include eatables and such. No one wants or needs "stuff" to clutter up their places.
Today I turned what maybe the last 2 cucumbers into fridge bread and butter pickles as I eat a lot of them. I also cut a 1/2 terry cloth towel from the rag bag into 6 dish washing cloths and hemmed them. I don't like thin slimy feeling wash cloths or dish cloths, and this works great for me.
I was given 4 gallons of 2% milk that had reached its best buy date and couldn't be sold. I removed some from 3 gallons and froze them and made the last gallon into mozzarella cheese. What an interesting process and easy. Very tasty and just an interesting ability to have. Sad that so much perfectly good milk would have been wasted, there were 8 gallons available so family took the other 4 gallons.
Dehydrated and ground tomato skins into tomato powder for adding to future stews, soups and sauces after I canned 14 pints of diced tomatoes for family.
We are supposed to be fading out of the 90's here in Indiana, we are getting a good bit of rain and yard/garden work is lagging behind.
We did get honey harvested but 3 hives got robbed during the heat wave, there was very little nectar flow because of the extreme heat and other hives started robbing. Next year if we get that much heat for that amount of time we will shut the entrance holes off to smaller areas so the hive can better defend itself.
Margaret p, Moncks Corner is where most of my ancestors lived. Cross is not far from Moncks Corner. Later, some of them moved to Charleston.
Griffin, Bayler (Baylard), William's, Taylor, Scott, Jones, Driggers, Bunch, Chavis, Curtis, are a few of the names I have researched thoroughly. There are many others, but those have had the most attention.
Have a wonderful week.
Glenda and Margaret,
I live in Mt. Pleasant SC! The Ravenel Bridge connects my town to Charleston. It's a wonderful historical area with a deeply complicated past.
Melissa S, that is so true. I have studied so many families down there, my own and their neighbors. The 1760's held a large influx of Huguenots from France via England. The different settlements brought a wide range of cultures. So nice to hear from you.
Thanks for your fine post, Donna!
In line with the thought that something is going to happen, I like to have a big library of appropriate books. I have a lot of paper books, but I also like eBooks because you can fit thousands of books on a Kindle. I bought my first Kindle about 14 years ago, and recently Amazon made it so you can't download any new books on it. I bought a Kindle Fire 10 on eBay recently for about $70. ChatGPT says you can store thousands of eBooks on it. You can get free eBooks on any topic on Amazon and other sites. On Amazon, you can go to Best Sellers in the Kindle store and choose from the top 100 free or paid books. There are books on any subject. If you have a solar battery charger, you can keep your Kindle charged so you can read if the power or internet is down. Just be sure to download the books to your Kindle. You can have a wide variety of prepping books, cookbooks, or books on any other subject.
With gas prices so high, I am staying home as much as possible or walking when I can. I am also eating more out of my preps while grocery prices are so high. I am doing what I can to save money. I try to remember that if you are about 70 years old, you have already lived through 9 or 10 recessions. It is comforting to think that we made it through all of those recessions, and we will make it through the current crisis too.
Have A Good Day Y'All!
Becky Sue
| « Previous Page | 1 |

Loading more pages
NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.
Thank you for joining!
IMPORTANT!
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder.
