About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Myrtle And Madge

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 1:00 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Myrtle and Madge, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 5:06 AM CST

Paula Alexandra Santos wrote

Hi, Grandma Donna! :)
I'm glad your work at Myrtle's is getting along and I can't wait to see the end result. Just by taking out that AC unit from the window and dreesing it with the lace curtain, makes a ton of difference!
You two are always an inspiration to me and sometimes when I'm procrastinating, I remember you and get to work. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!
I loved to read your childhood story and I too remember some foods I ate when I was a kid and that today I can't find anywhere or don't taste the same. It's a pitty that today quality is being substituted by convenience and ease.
And I bet Mrs. Frank was delighted to see you there and share her cake with you, chillins! ;)
Have a blessed weekend, you two!

This comment was transferred from our old comments section.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 7:46 AM CST

Rebecca wrote

One of my favourite memories is toasting bread on a long fork in a huge pot bellied stove at my Pops place. There was a huge claw foot bath, and an outside toilet (full of spiders!) as well as sheep down the back, and kangaroos jumping across the fields. We loved to play around the woodpile, chasing lizards, and helping to bring in the wood. There was no hot water, and one electric light. The mornings were freezing, and I will always remember the crunch of frost on the ground as we ran to use the toilet, and then head back inside to the wonderful huge stove to warm back up again.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 10:20 AM CST

Galadriel wrote

Thank you for the beautiful story, and how special that your brother remembered too. I bet Mrs Frank never dreamed that her act of simple hospitality would be such a treasured memory.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 10:51 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Grandma Donna
Thank you for your comments Galadriel, Rebecca and Paula. Galadriel, you make a very good point that Mrs. Frank never dreamed that her act of simple hospitality would be such a treasured memory. This shows us that people are watching and listening to us and we never know how it will affect someone.
We could be at home, work or the grocery store, most anywhere that someone else can see or hear us. Our kindness, no matter how small could be that one thing that another person will remember, it could be a child or an adult so it is important to show kindness and love for another, from the expression on our face or a slice of cake, most anything will do as long as it is done with love.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 12:02 PM CST

Kathy T wrote

My in-laws have an old Jim Walter home on a lot here in TX. It was 2 bedroom, with open kitchen/living area and a fireplace. When my father-in-law passed, everyone was telling my mother-in-law that she should raze it and get a mobile home. She wouldn't hear of it. She had the whole thing renovated and put in another bath and a nice big covered porch. For such an old house, it had "good bones" and looks great now. Even these new homes are probably not as well built as those old pre-fab Jim Walter's!

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 12:27 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Grandma Donna
Kathy, you are right about the older Jim Walter homes. Many years ago Madge built on to the Jim Walter Home and the build on has not held up well but the original part of her house is solid. As you put it, it does have good bones.

Rebecca, those are very good memories of Pop's place, thank you for sharing that with us.

Paula, I do think Mrs. Frank was happy to share her cake. Their old house down that dirt road has been another part in my life that gave me the understanding that home is where we live and we use what we have been provided to the best of our ability. Home cooked meals, a place to sleep and bathe and try to grow what we can with any space we have.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 3:42 PM CST

Darlene Roudebush from Ohio wrote

Myrtle is really coming along well. The "T" you made to hold up the sheets are what my Dad made when we helped my parents put up drywall sheets as the built their home after a fire. Two of us would hold up the drywall with the T's and Dad would screw them in. I can tell you that drywall sheets are very heavy! You and Charles are wise to cut your sheets into manageable sections. I wish Dad had thought of that. But I think he was trying to get it all done as fast as possible. I look forward to seeing the project as it progresses.

What a great memory you shared. I remember the taste of "ice cubes". They were the foil wrapped squares of chocolate that would melt in your mouth...and fingers. I have found them at times now, but they do not taste the same at all and do not melt. The wonderful taste of the chocolate melting on my tongue, sublime. I have tried expensive chocolate at times, hoping to find one that will be like the ice cubes of old, only to be disappointed. It seems that I will only have that taste in my memories.

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 6:49 PM CST

Lana wrote

We have been blessed to own a house on a lake in partnership for the last 23 years. Our children grew up running up and down the path to the lake and enjoying our time away for 4 weeks every year. Now we own 8 weeks and our grandchildren come to visit there as well as just the two of us enjoying time away to rest there. I am imagining that delicious cake!

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Sep 23, 22 10:10 PM CST

Katherine Minaker wrote

My goodness you both do get a lot of work done! That cabin will be so lovely and peaceful to stay in when finished. I love following you and your life and stories. Like a letter from "home" it is. Grateful for all that you share.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Sep 24, 22 7:33 AM CST

Mandy wrote

What a great memory about the nice woman and the cake. I grew up an hour east of Memphis and I know exactly where Holly Springs is. Mississippi still has many dirt roads to this day.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Sep 24, 22 2:06 PM CST

Debby in Kansas wrote

I love what you're doing with your little cabin! Your story was so sweet! My mom told me a similar story, but in the Ozarks and with apple cobbler. She was a young newlywed.

Be careful of those ticks, nasty things! Tuck your pants into your socks and wear boots.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Sep 24, 22 7:21 PM CST

Gillian from Tasmania wrote

Hello,
Thank you for your post about the Myrtle. As I was reading there was one sentence that almost jumped off the screen at me! You said, " Staying out of debt is a patience thing, save the money and then purchase what we need so nothing is owed. " I think you have touched on something here that has now disappeared from society - patience and saving. We have recently paid off our mortgage (after two years of heavy budgeting and doing without, but no sooner did we do that, we re-borrowed to pay for a family holiday - ??? I didn't want to disappoint our teenagers by saying, well, we need to save up for the airfares first (air travel in Australia is very expensive). Oh how I am regretting that. It would have been a golden opportunity to teach them patience. Moving forward, we will save our spending money for the trip at Christmas, and I aim to be more resolute in saving before spending.! Thanks GDonna for the the reminder.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Sep 24, 22 9:18 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Grandma Donna

Gillian, the main thing about mistakes is we don't beat ourselves over them but learn from them. We can always start over again and many of us need a lot of start over's before we get it right. I think there was a lesson for you in your most recent start over. :) If we keep it real, most all of us can admit we have many start overs.

Debby, I think we all would love to read the story about the apple cobbler. :)

Mandy, I have not been up that way in so many years that I cannot even remember how long now. I am not surprised though there are still dirt roads around that area.

Kathrine, thank you for your kind comment.

Lana, your Grands will have many good memories when they are grown. I am happy for you that you have the place to make them.

Darlene, thank you for sharing your memories about the ice cubes. Using the T's sure helped us get the ceiling up or what part is up so far. There is no way we would have gotten this up in one sheet. There had to be some sore muscles when you all finished with your ceiling, I know Charles and I are still very sore and we still have much to do.

Thank you all for your comments, Donna

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Sep 25, 22 4:31 AM CST

Sara wrote

G Donna, you always make me think that I can do more! One of the thins that has been bothering me about my home is that the wooden floors in the kitchen and dining area really need to be refinished. I really don't want to spend the money right now but am wondering if I couldn't sand them down and add a finish myself. I have refinished furniture before and know how to sand and add the finish. The two areas are also not very big. It would not be professional level, but it would almost certainly look better than now and help to protect the wood. I will think about doing that come spring. I never really thought about adding sheetrock myself. This is a very big job you took on!

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Sep 25, 22 8:25 AM CST

Darlene Roudebush from Ohio wrote

Oh, Granma Donna, let me clarify my comment. When Tom and I were helping my parents drywall, we were in our 20's. If we were to attempt it now in our 60's it would be done totally differently. Then, we had someone at each end of the T, now I know we could not lift an entire sheet. It was hard enough then, now we would do as you and Charles did, cut the sheet into sections. And I do remember being sore and tired back then!

I do think Myrtle is coming along beautifully. I love the beadboard, so clean looking. I really like the look of beadboard.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Sep 25, 22 7:00 PM CST

Joy wrote

I am so glad to see that you are allowing comments here as it is fun to read other's comments. I love Myrtle! I am excited for you and Charles. I think it is wonderful to have this to work on and look forward to. May God bless your life, family, and adventures!

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Sep 25, 22 10:40 PM CST

Mrs. Laura Lane wrote

Oh, you inspire me in so many ways. I'm a bit younger, in my fifties, but health problems have held me back. I can see that I need to push through as much as I can. I'm not getting any younger!
Blessings,
Laura

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 3:35 AM CST

Pam wrote

I am so impressed with the work the two of you have done!! I also loved your little story at the end, what a precious memory. I remember my Gran making lemon curd on a Summers evening and giving my sister and I big a spoonful out of the old Farm kitchen window, it was still warm. and tasted divine, I have never forgotten.
Blessings, Pam in Norway

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 11:15 AM CST

sheila wrote

hi ????thank you for reminding me of the excitement that comes from exploring the little roads and lanes; my husband and I recently moved to a new part of our state and we will frequently hare off to explore a new road...but it isn't the same as walking, is it? good, just different ????

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 1:12 PM CST

Teri Pittman wrote

I will get to do a lot of this with my new little house. There is so much work to be done, but I tell myself to just do a little every day. I am waiting for a crew to replace some broken glass and a different crew to get the heater working properly. It's all part of making it home.

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 1:24 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Grandma Donna

Pam, that sounds yummy and a very good memory to have. Our lemon tree will be harvesting in about another six weeks, I cannot wait.

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 1:32 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Donna

Teri, I am happy you found your place to turn into a home. Sounds like a lot of roll up your sleeves kinds of jobs.

Sheila, you can call me Donna or Grandma Donna either one. You are another blog reader that has a new beginning and starting new adventures and memories. I wish you well in your new home. Donna

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 2:33 PM CST

Becky Sue wrote

I always enjoy your articles but it is sort of funny how sometimes it is almost like you see into my life. I have a HUGE project to complete and I am a female in my 60s and have no one to help me with it. I start getting overwhelmed with all that I need to do but now you tell me that we don't need to put off doing something just because it is hard to do, that it will never get done if I don't do it, and that it will be so worth it when it is finished. This is so very true! I know I will enjoy the end result as I have been needing to do this for a long time and it is a room that I see every day. Thanks for the encouragement you always provide.

I appreciate too that you always highlight the value of being debt free. I am debt-free and it has been such a blessing, especially during the pandemic. I don't have any credit cards and my house and vehicles are paid off. Everything that I have I own outright. If times get tough I know I have a roof over my head and a vehicle to drive. I also do a lot of canning, preserving, and a little gardening so I always have plenty of food too. Shopping at thrift stores and salvage grocery stores saves a lot of money also.
Well, I'd better get to my big project.

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Sep 26, 22 4:04 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Donna
Becky sue, I am happy that I was using my looking glass when I typed that post directed to those of you that needed to read this. lol
Sometimes it goes full circle, I say something in my blog that someone needed to read and then they will say something back that I needed to read. I have a stack of laundry to fold that I am behind on because of working up at the Myrtle house and I really didn't want to finish that today but now you have held me accountable because I said don't put off doing things just because it is hard to do. Well, so now I need to finish folding and put it away and be done with it. Lol
A good point on shopping, I rarely purchase anything new and those dollars saved can help to get out of debt and stay out of debt.

1,655 posts (admin)
Tue Sep 27, 22 5:41 PM CST

Lady Locust (JL ????) wrote

Oh I just love that story. I know exactly what you mean. You can probably not only taste that cake, but also hear her voice and see those chickens just as you did back then. How very special. What a wonderful memory.
Also~ Myrtle is coming along quite nicely. You've sure done a lot of work. It does go to show what can be made out of something that appears to be not worth much "just an old shed." Looking forward as I'm sure you are as well, to see the finished product :-)

1,655 posts (admin)
Wed Sep 28, 22 3:48 PM CST

Kimberly wrote

Hello from North Dakota! Just wanted to stop and say I enjoy your blog so much. I came across it a couple of years ago now and I think I have read every post now. I keep a tab open on my phone so I can catch up whenever I have a chance. I have been very busy the past few weeks so had some catching up to do but was thrilled to see you added a comment section. I look forward to each post and really enjoy all of them.

1,655 posts (admin)
Wed Sep 28, 22 4:01 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Grandma Donna

Hi, Lady Locust, I will never forget the taste of that cake and we will be so happy when we finish Myrtle. :)

Kimberly, Oooooo I bet it gets cold up there! I am happy that you have been reading all of my posts, that is a lot of reading! I am happy about the comment section too. Donna

1,655 posts (admin)
Thu Sep 29, 22 11:00 PM CST

Marie Dybing wrote

Dear Donna thank you for sharing your tiny home a lot of work but so worthwhile.Also thanks for the encouragement to keep going and be positive I think going through life there are always times for various reasons it is easier to take the easy road of sit down and give up, but sitting down and resting then getting on with it is so rewarding and we are always so pleased we did in the end. You never know what you can do if you give up.A blessing of older age is the happy memories we have and we can visit them any time we wish with thankfulness but also make new ones today .With fond love Marie Horsham Australia

1,655 posts (admin)
Tue Oct 18, 22 7:14 PM CST

Sharon Dominy wrote

Love the story from your childhood. A beautiful memory. Blessings as you fix up your little cabin. Thanks for sharing.

1,655 posts (admin)
Tue Oct 18, 22 7:53 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Thank you Marie for your lovely comment. :)

Thank you Sharon for the comment.

1,655 posts (admin)
Tue Nov 15, 22 8:07 PM CST

Andrea wrote

I think we can all taste the cake in our imaginations! I think I will bake one tomorrow and try out your boiled chocolate frosting. Thank you for the lovely memory as it takes us all back to things like that.

32 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close