About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: The Simple Crumpet

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Feb 05, 23 7:20 PM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article The Simple Crumpet, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

D
22 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 4:33 AM CST

Thanks so much

I
4 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 7:40 AM CST

How do you serve these?  Do you split them like English muffins?  Butter and syrup?  Jam?

Brunch?  Breakfast for supper?

They look delicious.

G
17 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 12:03 PM CST

I sometimes make a little flatbread from my sourdough starter, which is like a crumpet.  It's very easy to make:

• 1 cup sourdough starter which has been fed the day/night before--it should be a thick batter, not a dough (otherwise it's hard to incorporate the soda quickly enough)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
First put a frying pan to heat with some oil/butter/etc, and when it's hot, mix the above two ingredients together.  It will fizz up!  Pour some little pancakes with them, or into buttered crumpet molds like Grandma Donna does.  Get them in the pan quickly before all the bubbles die back down!  

Because the two ingredients react to and neutralize each other, the crumpets/flatbreads are not sour like regular sourdough, and depending on the consistency of the starter itself, can be light and fluffy or a little more substantial . 

J
7 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 2:46 PM CST

Thank you for the recipe. Monday is my baking day but I'm all done for today. I think I will put these in my planning book for next week. I usually make crackers and a veggie spread for a snack/tea break in the afternoon, but crumpets will be a lovely new treat to put in the rotation!

S
14 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 6:23 PM CST
Iowasue D wrote:

How do you serve these?  Do you split them like English muffins?  Butter and syrup?  Jam?

Brunch?  Breakfast for supper?

They look delicious.

Crumpets are served, hot and whole, as they are,  traditionally with lots of butter on the top. The butter melts and fills up the crumpet holes- delicious!

You can add any topping you like. Cheese, jam, syrup are all good; as is Marmite (if you like it!). However, you can't beat lashings of butter which melts down and pools at the base of the crumpet or even onto the plate below. Not a snack for the fastidious!

They can be served at any time and are especially good as a tea time snack with plenty of hot tea (of course!).

I
4 posts
Mon Feb 06, 23 6:27 PM CST
Sheryl C wrote:

Crumpets are served, hot and whole, as they are,  traditionally with lots of butter on the top. The butter melts and fills up the crumpet holes- delicious!

You can add any topping you like. Cheese, jam, syrup are all good; as is Marmite (if you like it!). However, you can't beat lashings of butter which melts down and pools at the base of the crumpet or even onto the plate below. Not a snack for the fastidious!

They can be served at any time and are especially good as a tea time snack with plenty of hot tea (of course!).

Thanks Sheryl...I like to make anything made with yeast so I guess this will be a project soon!

J
3 posts
Tue Feb 07, 23 11:35 AM CST

I was so excited to see this article.  I use a crumpet recipe from www.daringgourmet.com and have been happy with it.  I started making crumpets within the past 6 months after finding out how delicious and easy they are.  I had always been intimidated and had not tried them before but after reading a book on English sheep-herding, I found out the area of country my book talked about was where crumpets originated.  So, I had to try them then.  

They are a weekend treat.  I serve mine with butter and homemade jam.  I hope everyone gives them a try.  I found my crumpet rings at the thrift store.  Homemade English muffins are delicious too.

C
8 posts
Tue Feb 07, 23 12:42 PM CST

This looks like a good treat to make with the kids.  I need to try this.  Thank you for sharing.

8 posts
Tue Feb 07, 23 1:43 PM CST

Oh wow this came out amazingly good!!  I used my Einkorn flour and came out great, which recipes dont always come out this good.  The only difference with the white Einkorn flour is that I sifted it first.  Aboslutely delicious!  thank you!

I just put a pad of butter and ate like an english muffin just better! Mine was like a cross between a pancake and an English muffin!

A
97 posts
Thu Feb 09, 23 11:16 AM CST

I've seen those rings before and figured they were for biscuits. Now I know and can't wait to try them sometime. They sure look delicious and easy.

K
67 posts
Fri Feb 10, 23 3:37 PM CST

Happy Friday everyone!  This week I decided to try my hand at sourdough crumpets as I was tending the sourdough and had been inspired by Grandma Donna's post.  I do not have crumpet rings, so I used canning jar bands.  I used a vintage electric griddle to control the cooking temperature.  The main reason I chose to do this with the canning bands was to see if a) I could get by using the bands, and b) if I might want to buy crumpet rings.

They were absolutely delicious!  However, they were quite thin since the canning bands aren't as tall as a crumpet ring.  My ultimate decision was to NOT order new crumpet rings.  I will say this is a big turn for me, I've often allowed myself whatever little kitchen cooking purchases I might want with the justification that I'll save money overall by making things from scratch.  But this is the Great Depression study and I'm learning to make do and choose the zero money option.  I did some research, however, and I plan to try making English muffins soon.  Like crumpets, they are griddle baked, but I can cut the dough with the large biscuit cutter I already own. 

Attached Photos

12 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close