About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Diary Reading, The Diary Of Rose And The Diary Of Emma January 12 - 18

1,653 posts (admin)
Thu Jan 12, 23 6:48 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Diary reading, The diary of Rose and The diary of Emma January 12 - 18, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

S
92 posts
Thu Jan 12, 23 7:26 AM CST

I see Emma had to borrow from the bank to pay her taxes. In my reading about the Depression, I was surprised that many people lost their paid for homes or farms because they couldn't pay their taxes. Once the plumber's bill and a large dentist bill are paid off, I'll be back to paying down the mortgage, but the stories of the Depression show how important it is to have enough in savings to always be able to pay your taxes, and these days, insurance too. 

When we paid off our car, we were so happy! An expense gone. But then there was still gas and oil, maintenance, insurance, taxes, registration, and even driver's license renewal fees. Depending on where you drive to, there are road tolls and parking fees too! It makes me want to walk everywhere and not have a car, but the nearest grocery store is three miles away and our relatives all live out of state, so we're keeping the car.

K
8 posts
Thu Jan 12, 23 10:00 AM CST

I was reading an article this morning about 1930s life style..and when gas got too expensive to buy that they would remove the front of the car like in the photo and hitch up the horses..was it Rose's brother that was working on "the Bug"? 

Attached Photos

Edited Thu Jan 12, 23 11:18 AM by Kathleen W
K
65 posts
Thu Jan 12, 23 1:24 PM CST

Am I correct in my reading that Rose cut out a dress one morning, then completely sewed it the next morning?

Did Emma not have any children?

17 posts
Thu Jan 12, 23 1:30 PM CST

I am wondering why, if Rose is a schoolteacher, she never talks about school?  And she is doing things in the morning and afternoons like sewing and baking and such, so when is she teaching school?  Did they have long periods of time off school due to weather and lack of heat in the schools possibly?  Although in other books I've read, the teacher was responsible for getting to the school early and lighting the wood stove so the place could be warm when the children arrived.  'Tis a puzzlement!

F
10 posts
Thu Jan 12, 23 2:05 PM CST

Stephanie G----How's your apron :) :)  Many people lost their homes because they couldn't afford the taxes. And these were not people who necessarily lived on a financial edge either, but fine, ordinary people. It happens in this day and age as well. I found it interesting that she could borrow the money from the bank at all.  I'm not sure when President Roosevelt declared a "bank holiday" (All banks were ordered to close to try to avoid all of them going under.  There was no FDIC protection at this time.)  I have wondered also about Emma's children.  I wonder if some of the people she mentions, such as Abe and Frank, are her sons?

Karen S---- Rose does not say that she sewed the dress entirely in one day---just that she sewed in the morning on that particular day; although, it is possible to sew a dress in a couple of hours or so on a treadle machine if the pattern is simple enough and she had the time 

Lynne J----According to Rose's description, she teaches in a country school.  It could be that she has lost her job because the county (if it was a county school) ran out of money to keep the school open.  Most states did not have compulsory school attendance laws like they do now.  It is also possible that the spring term has not yet started at the time she is writing.  During this time, the number of days schools were required to be in session was much lower than what is required today.  For example, in my state the required number nowadays is 175 for students.  In the 1930s, I doubt that the number was anything over 150, if that many.

S
92 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 12:12 PM CST

Frances M I have it on right now because I was making my Saturday bread dough! But I'm going to take it off now because I don't have anymore chores for awhile. How's your apron wearing going?

People losing their homes really speaks to the precariousness of life and how we all have to be prepared for anything. So many people in the Depression lost their life savings in the bank closures, through no fault of their own. I'm not ready to hide my money under the mattress or bury it in the backyard, but our 401k sure took a beating last year! We were hoping for better and now have to go to Plan B, which I hope won't require use of a mattress. ;)

L
43 posts
Sat Jan 14, 23 8:52 PM CST

It froze in the pantry!  That would be inside.  Old houses sure didn't have the insulation we do today.

A
97 posts
Tue Feb 07, 23 6:53 PM CST

When I was reading the school dates my first thought was oh my goodness that sounds like our homeschooling that we do. Our program that we use is based for homesteading, self employed, farming family styles that have you doing more projects and things outside of dedicated book time. It's very old fashioned and works so well because if you have a snow day or something else it's so easy to pick back up where you left off and your never behind. It gives us a glimpse of how they used to run schools. For the apron, I need to get sewing on mine but haven't had the time. I love wearing an apron though since it saves my clothes.

9 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close