About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: We Are In This Together

1,655 posts (admin)
Fri Nov 25, 22 5:56 PM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article We are in this together, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 12:10 AM CST

Stephanie wrote

Hi Grandma Donna!

The 1930's have always been my favorite decade, so I am very excited that you have chosen the early thirties for your study. Like you, I love the beauty in that decade. They had modern things but were practical too. Your posts and studies have always made me give up just a little more modern life and things are better that way.

I'm going to try a big change with this study and give up modern streaming shows and television and try to stick to books and radio shows, and I think I'll have a Sunday matinee double feature each week with 1930's movies from the library with some 1930's cartoons I have on a DVD. I see that Amazon sells old-fashioned paper bags for peanuts in the shell, so I can have my snacks too. Of course I'll be in my living room (is it a sitting room back then?) instead of a movie theater, but for Sunday afternoons I'll just have to pretend.

As for facts, I would like to learn about how people did politics. I'm sure it was a lot better than how we do it now. I wonder how involved people got and how they felt about the issues of the day. Maybe the 1930's have something to teach about that too, and keeping it simpler.

I'm one that likes the diaries, because I learn things about their daily lives I probably wouldn't have known otherwise, like the way Lena dries her laundry when it's wet or cold outside.

I've learned so much from you over the years. Thank you for taking the time to post all your wisdom.

This comment was transferred from our old comments section.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 12:22 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Stephanie, I am happy that you are happy with the study. In the 1920s the living room was called the drawing room, some called it the parlor in the 1930s but I think that it was starting to be called the living room as well. I imagine it would have depended on the age of the house and the people that lived in that house. Just my guess. I hope we all learn new things from this study. It sounds like you will have fun with this one. :)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 2:41 AM CST

Elaine wrote

I am always very interested in your studies and love the 1930’s so happy to participate, one of the things we intend to do is turn off all screens in the evenings and play games instead, scrabble, card games etc.
Your pasties look very appetising, we went to Cornwall a few years ago for a holiday and my beloved had a pasty nearly every day :-)
As a matter of interest the front room of a house used to be called a parlour because that’s where a deceased member of the family would be laid out before the funeral, however following the emergence of funeral directors/ parlours this practice stopped and the room was renamed the living room for obvious reasons.
Thank you for all the work you put into these posts Grandma Donna.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 4:54 AM CST

Laura (Scotland) wrote

The 30's sounds fascinating. My Nan (maternal grandmother) was born in 1910 so would have been a young adult through the 30's, she had come from the mining villages in South Wales to London to go into service as many young women did. But London will have been a very different place to her after her home.

I will try and join you in your study. My biggest problems will be my laptop and smartphone. I guess I have to try to restrict my use. I have a piano in my living room (as I imagine will many people have had) - it probably dates from the 30's. I will research living in the 30's in my area. Very different again as the town will have been a village and mostly fields where houses are now. I'll go and look in the museum.

Thank you again for everything you do to engage us with these studies.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 5:13 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Elaine, that would be wonderful to bring back the evening games. When I was a child, the visitation was still being done at the home with the deceased laid out in the parlor/parlour/livingroom. The size of the house was also a consideration and if there was a formal parlor/parlour and another type of sitting /family. This brings into mind when did they start calling the bedchamber a bedroom? Ah, so much to think about.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 5:33 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Laura, I enjoyed reading about your Nan. The museum and libraries are a great source. I think if everyone is honest most of us could spend less times on our phones and laptops. :)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 5:55 AM CST

Diana Hyman wrote

Your posts are my favorite and I watch one of your videos at night because they are so peaceful . While I may not study a time period like you and Charles I can find lots of ideas for a better life in the current days from you. I would like to be my age with my grandchildren in the 50’s when things seemed safer and kids played outside and walked to the store and a Coke at a gas station was a treat. Thanks so much for sharing your home.??????????

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 6:12 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Diana, that was a wonderful time when we could play outside and walk to the corner store or gas station. I wish the children today had a safer world to live in, how did we get to this point and what can we do to change it? The only thing I know is somehow try and get back to simple and show love for others. (Love)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 7:52 AM CST

sar wrote

My grandparents must have been in the early 30s in 1932. They had a house about 1400 sq feet with 4 small bedrooms with small closets. They lived there all of their life so I knew it very, very well. My grandfather worked at a family owned business in town and walked to work every day and my grandmother ran everything home related. I remember some things in the house before they modernized certain things -- the wringer washer in the basement, coal deliveries for the furnace. I remember when they got a new oil furnace because it would make a loud noise when it came on and it was startling when I slept over (which all the grandkids did frequently!) She hung her laundry outside on the line most of the time but if it was damp or freezing she also had a line in the attic. I don't remember her having a dryer at all even when I was older. Lots or ironing though! When we slept over, coming into her kitchen was the coziest place in the world in the morning because so much of it was still from when my mother was young which was the 1930s. My Mom remembered that men used to come to the back door and ask for food and they would get a sandwich. The family business stayed relatively profitable throughout the depression but there was a lot of poverty in the area and families often had many mouths to feed.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 8:05 AM CST

karen wrote

My maternal grandmother was born in 1901. My husbands paternal grandmother in 1878. My parents in 1922 and 1926 respectively. Unfortunately my grandmother and my parents were pretty silent about those years. I have no idea except they rarely talked about them. My husbands grandmother lived in a late 1700's modest farmhouse and didn't get running water until the 1960's. He tells me about the memories and stories she told while he grew up. Outhouse, corsets worn until the day she passed, washing clothes and household items in a cauldron outside with a fire, a hand pump at the sink in her kitchen, she never had a shower or bath in her life (she hand bathed with a pitcher/bowl, big garden and pantry, kerosene lighting, etc. My grandmother on the other hand was a city girl, and wanted all the new and fancy when it became available. She told stories about bread lines, buying her bread from a man selling it door to door, ice too. She proudly told me of cutting her very long hair in the early 20's and getting on trend by giving up her long skirts. In fact, she was somewhat of a party girl and not very maternal . I loved her dearly but I think I relate to my husbands grandmother in many ways. I am excited about your new study and can't wait to learn more.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 8:40 AM CST

hopflower wrote

What? No jammies under the apon? Ha! Well, I am not participating then.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 9:17 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Hopflower, I won't tell if you don't. Lol

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 9:22 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Karen, thank you for sharing your family story, I am with you, I would side with your paternal Grandmother. I wish I had a heart icon on this (/) I tried...

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 10:03 AM CST

My Tireless Retirement wrote

My grandmother was born in 1923. She was young during the Great Depression, but she remembered it and we often talked about those times and what it was like to grow up during hard times. I have her mother's Butterick Cookbook from 1927 and another one of hers that came free with a GE stove from 1934. I just decided yesterday I am going to use them to cook from in 2023. I look forward to hearing more about your new study as I'm also hoping to do things much more simply as my grandmother's did things. Their wisdom is priceless.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 10:08 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

My tireless Retirement, that sounds wonderful. I hope we can add many new things to go with your memories and your 1927 cookbook. :)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 10:20 AM CST

Jenny wrote

It will be exciting to read about your experiences with the same era of study :)

A tip for others that like to study daily life from the past -- your library may have a free online subscription to Newspapers.com for your local papers! I can access my local paper for free up until 1933 I believe, simply by logging into the newspapers.com website with my library card number through a portal available on my library website. Check the library systems for big cities in your state, too, as some allow anyone in the state to sign up for a free digital library card (even if you don't live in the library's district).

Another good resource is archive.org's open library. They have a lot of out-of-print magazines and books you can checkout online for free. It's fun to browse an old Ladies Home Journal or Farm Journal from the year you are studying, or to look through cookbooks or household management guides from the era!

I've spent this year reading the daily 1922 paper for my city, and was already planning to jump to the 1930s for 2023 as I feel that is the way we are headed (and in the long run I think it may be a good thing for most of us to be forced to simplify and consume less). I read the current paper right after, and it has brought me a lot of peace. So many of the stories and world events mirror what is going on now. The old paper also seems to be more of a balance of good and bad news both locally and from around the world, and sometimes it's refreshing to see that the things we find awful now were also a problem back then -- sure I don't want these problems to exist, but it's nice to see we faced down challenges then so if feels more hopeful that we can continue to do so today.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 10:51 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Thank you Jenny for all of the wonderful tips for everyone. :)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 12:11 PM CST

Melissa wrote

I just love reading your blog- I love the diaries as well as your own personal stories. My mother was born in 1933 and she lived with her mom and grandparents. Their house as well as my house was built in 1917. I would love to know more about that era- I have the original blue prints so I know exactly how the kitchen cupboards were set up. My mom didn’t have electricity until later on and they had an outhouse. They had a water pump both outside and one in the kitchen sink. A barn was on the back of their lot and they raised a pig and a couple of chickens. Of course they had a big garden and fruit trees. They had a coal furnace and it was my moms job to bring the coal in. I remember my great grandparents and spent many happy years visiting there. My great aunt kept a chamber pot under the bed upstairs. My great grandmother crushed her hand in the rollers of the wringer washer-my mom had to unlock it. Sorry to go on and on- I am looking forward to your studies although unfortunately I am a modern gal even at the age of 61 so will be living vicariously through you. We have an Amish hardware store close by so I get to see many items that have been used over the past hundred years and I also collect kitchen antiques so I have many items that would fit in the era.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 1:21 PM CST

Tea wrote

Being my age in 1932 puts me born in the same year as the great-grandparents I know the most about:)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 1:24 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Melissa, I love reading your story, we will see what we can find about the year of 1917, my father born the year before that time so I know a little but there is much more we can find. :)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 1:28 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Tea, this will be good that you have family you can relate to with the study. :)

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 2:00 PM CST

Gail wrote

Good morning Donna,
This is such an exciting post and I’m looking forward to your writings next year.
I’ll be thinking about the things I won’t be needing a either putting them away or or passing them on.
I know I could look up a recipe on the internet for your Cornish Pasties, however I really like the look of yours and I would think they are just how my grandmother would have made them. Would it be possible to share your recipe.
Blessings to you and Charles,
from Gail ????????

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 2:02 PM CST

Lissa wrote

excited to hear about the new era of learning. I'd be interested in learning about holidays and birthdays, weddings, funerals. I have a letter to Santa that my father wrote in (I think) 1942. IIRC He asked for one thing for himself and bone for his dog. He said he understood if that might not work out because he knew there was a war on. My mother grew up with huge, over the top Christmases (which she then did for us) while my dad's was quite frugal (maybe some socks and underwear and very, very small toy or some fudge/cookies). He said that they always had a great time though. One year his dad gave him some airplanes wheels with the clue (we always do clever clues) that said "One day we'll get something to go on top of these". And they did! My dad took my mom up in his plane for their first date.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 2:47 PM CST

Sheri wrote

Hi,

I have several items for you. You may not want to post all of this!

1) Where do you find your journals? Readers remark that they , too, have period journals. Do you find them in antique stores?

2) You mentioned furniture being recovered several times. Your comment reminded me of my grandmother’s furniture. She recovered her couch and armchair herself (with the help of my grandfather) several times. I was the lucky recipient of the pair when I married in 1994. The fabric held up so well. I gave the furniture to my younger sister several years later but still have (and use daily) the simple foot stool that went with the set. The late 1970s upholstery is still in great shape. Contrast this to some armchairs my mom recovered for me 15 years ago — the upholstery wore thin and frayed before my kids hit elementary school.

3) I love to read about the 1920s to 1940s, especially the stories of every day life, the richness that comes from using what you have to make life beautiful and enjoyable for your family. I appreciate how families of this time contribute to the community. Our busy lifestyles today really hamper community engagement and I think this contributes to the antagonism we’ve seen. When we have time to serve along side of our neighbors, we develop connections and relationships that support unity.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 3:32 PM CST

Susan Kaye wrote

I love reading your plans and ideas, Donna! I am very interested in reading diaries from days past and have some Civil War era books. Where do you find all your very interesting diaries? Do you buy them online or in stores?
Thank you ,
Susan

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 4:06 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

Susan Kaye, Sheri, Lissa and Gail. Thank you for your comment and questions.
I have purchased diaries over many years. I have bought them online searching for diaries, I have looked at antique shops and some I bought from a lady that sold several from her lot. It is not easy to find these and to get the diaries that are actually have helpful information inside and why I am trying to share with you the information I have. All I can say is keep looking.
One of my diaries, I believe 1909, they took a train to go buy some fabric to recover the sofa. I gather information from all of the diaries. my oldest is from the 1880s.
My son is hoping to put a new platform up for us to communicate and you get notice of a reply or answer, I do not know enough enough to explain this at this time. Thank you all for your comments.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 4:26 PM CST

Tammy wrote

Not trying to be too pessimistic here, but I have been doing extensive research on where our current economy is headed, and it is not going in a good direction. So, Grandma Donna, you and Grandpa Charles "living the 1930s" and blogging about it may be a blessing to many of us in our own lives. I've also been doing a lot of reading and research on the 1930s and the Great Depression just in case things start going sideways financially.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 4:34 PM CST

Madeleine Lawrence wrote

Hi Donna,

I've always loved the thirties and a lot of our furniture is from that era. I also love the Victorian era.
We are working on living like the past by going back to only using cash (this went out the window during the pandemic) and shopping more at smaller shops and markets wherever possible - we've even found a place to order a year's supply of loo roll so that we don't need to go to a supermarket. We don't want to see more of the smaller local shops shutting so we need to put our money where our mouth is and support them.

As well, we realised that when we watch movies online rather than going to the cinema, or get takeaway rather than eating out, we miss the opportunity of bumping into people we know and catching up. This catching up used to be an important part of community building - you don't have to see people all the time, but you are in contact enough to care about one another and be there if times get challenging. Our cinema won't stay open much longer if we don't support it and it has been wonderful to go back to seeing films on the big screen.

I am also trying to lose the habit of rushing and plan to do more of my shopping on foot - I have a wonderful wicker shopping basket on wheels and it holds a lot. I am picking up the phone more instead of texting or emailing, and writing more letters and cards. I don't often get letters back, but perhaps it will catch on again.

These are all small actions but if more of us do them I think it has a positive impact on our lives and our communities.

I'm looking forward to following your adventures in 2023!

Madeleine

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 4:44 PM CST

Felicity Smith wrote

Hello Grandma Donna and Charles too
We have both read your post here and we will read and discuss the early 1930s years in New Zealand which were very very hard years for many. Our parents met and married about mid to late 1930s and so that will be an interesting focus.
We will read about ‘swaggers’ - men who tramped around, with no jobs, no homes and who begged for work on farms. And learn more about what have been named the ‘sugarbag years’ here. People who simply were so poor they draped an old sugar sack over their body and worked at whatever they could get- digging for the railway, clearing roads…. They were hard hard years.
We have much in the ‘news’ here about the looming recession. Right alongside photos of people buying up large at Black Friday sales.
Here in our home we will be looking more carefully at using both sides of the cellotape ( as it were) cutting right back on meat consumption and working at better vege growing.
We look forward to reading along with you.
Where do you find these fascinating diaries?

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 6:43 PM CST

Darlene from Ohio wrote

Hello Donna~

I am excited to begin a new study. I hope to get more involved in this one. Each year I get more involved than the last. You asked a few questions;

I love history and am "drawn" to it all. But I am curious about the Great Depression years and how they coped.

The facts I would like to know is the average woman's day to day routine. How did she do all that she needed to do in the circumstances of the depression?

I would love to learn how to cook on a big wood stove. I'm not sure you can make that happen, ;-) but I am so curious as to how they cooked and baked on those big stoves with wood. We have a wood burner for heat and I did cook on it's flat top when the power went out once. But I burnt the biscuits. Cooking soup was easier. I don't get how they regulated the wood heat.

I would love to study further back in time. I enjoy learning and am happy to learn all I can.
I better get to researching the newspapers of our area from back then.

I think a trip to the woods for some fresh pine branches is in my future. That will bring some Christmas cheer and scent to my home.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 9:33 PM CST

Vivian King wrote

Hi Donna, it has been a very long while since I have been able to visit you here. Sounds like you and Charles are doing very well. I am looking forward to reading and seeing how you will go with the new 'year.' Always fascinating. I am drawn to the time period of 1600-1800. So much in each period that is fascinating. Reading and dreaming of things is about all I am able to do at present. Health issues with my Charles and a few of our special needs adult children are my focus for the time being. It is greatly appreciated, all the effort and work you put in to sharing such wonderful history with us all. Take care.
In Joy
Vivian

1,655 posts (admin)
Sat Nov 26, 22 10:32 PM CST

Katherine Minaker wrote

I would like to know more about average lives in the 30's. I have read peoples stories about living then and seen so many old photos of that time. Learning to make do with so little is a challenge and must have been frustrating for many. But we need to know. Thank you for doing this for all of us to be informed and to learn from.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 12:52 AM CST

Becky Sue wrote

I've been interested in the Great Depression era for quite some time. Two of my favorite books are: "We Had Everything But Money", "When the Banks Closed, We Opened Our Hearts", and "Tough Times, Strong Women." These are people's actual experiences from the depression era. I thought people might be interested to read these before the study begins. These books are from Reminisce Books. You can borrow the first one at Archive.Org Also at Archive.Org you can see catalogs with items from the 1930s including the Honor Bilt homes that you could get from Sears. Here is a link: https://archive.org/search.php?query=sears%20catalog They have a lot of books there about the depression too. https://archive.org/search.php?query=great+depression&page=2 Other really great books about the depression are The Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression series by Rita Van Amber. You can borrow it at https://archive.org/search.php?query=great+depression&page=2 There is also Depression Era Recipes by Patricia Wagner and Best Loved Depression Era Recipes. You can borrow them at https://archive.org/search.php?query=depression%20era%20recipes You can also see newspapers and probably magazines from the era for free also at Archive.Org If you do a search for 1930s there is a whole treasure trove of things to read. There is also a book: Britain In the 1930s and The Proud Tradition of Australian Cooking which is a collection of recipes from the 1920s and 1930s. I hope you all enjoy it!

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 8:56 AM CST

Shirley Kelly wrote

Good morning, Donna! I found your blog earlier this year and I love it! Your style of writing has the most soothing rhythm amongst all the fear and panic of these times. I am looking forward to reading along as you and Charles enter the 1930s for your next study. You see, I was born in 1935. I am 87.5 years young. I have lived (still do) in the Pacific Northwest near Seattle since 1963. However, I grew up the daughter of a tenant farmer who had dairy cows as well as grew crops for market. My mother taught me to cook and bake when I was 7 and stood on a chair and we used a wood stove. Sorry, I don't remember how heat was regulated. I still love to bake and cook, just not as much these days. No, I didn't embrace that lifestyle. I was the farm girl that yearned to go to the big city, all that glamour, you know lol. However, I have always kept the habits of cooking and baking from scratch and stretching food, etc. Keep up the wonderful work you do and sharing with us. I love and admire all you do at/with Myrtle. Blessings, Shirley

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 12:54 PM CST

Margaret wrote

I recently began reading your blog and I have been enjoying it. It never occurred to me to follow along and "live" the study. But this post is inspiring! I know I won't be able to do it quite the way you and Charles do but I plan to reflect each day on those things I can't do and enjoy the things I can do.

One of my pleasures is collecting old cookbooks. This will give me an excuse to look through some again and make a recipe or two.

Over the last several years I have wore dresses and aprons more often. For this study I will devote time to sewing. I'm excited to make myself a 1930s dress!

My mother was born in 1935 on a farm and her mother was in her early 40s. My mother's grandmothers and great grandmothers died many years before my mother was born. That side were farmers and were poor though my mother said she never knew it. My father was born in 1924 and he knew his paternal grandmother. In fact, in 1935 she would've been the age I am now. I've always been intrigued by her. I have a picture of her with her young children and her husband displayed in my living room. They immigrated to the US from France in the late 1800s before the French revolution. She shall be my focus. That side of the family was solidly middle class even through the depression and wars. They worked for the glass company (and my grandfather was an inventor for them so he always had a job & eventually bought a home in the late 30s/early 40s overlooking the Mississippi River).

I will look to both sides for my own understanding of that time.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 1:12 PM CST

Lora wrote

Hi, I am excited to here about your new study, and that it is the 1930s! I have read a lot about life during those years and it will be fascinating to read how the year goes. The era that I am drawn towards is the 1920s, but not the glittery side of the Jazz Age, but the small town people's lives who were changing so fast. I wonder how the mindsets changed over the decades. The 1920s was the beginning of the modern consumer culture but with the onset of the Depression, how did they cope and who dealt with it better or worse? The skill I want to learn is knitting, and improve my crocheting skills. I have taught myself how to sew and make many of my outfits. But if I could learn to knit, as my current sweaters wear out, if they can't be mended, I would like to be able to replace with handmade items. I think this would help curb my own consumer spending habits.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 3:45 PM CST

Tami wrote

Hello everyone and G.Donna!
I enjoy the era of the 1930's. My Grandparents were newlyweds and can only imagine livening and starting a family during that time. I always observed the making due and not feeling like they had to keep up with anything. They were very content.
I also would like to learn and or have an observation of life in a a day type of routine done. I can get a little distracted from modern routines lol. Thank You for all of your thoughts.

Tami

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 4:12 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote

From Grandma Donna
I am so happy that many of you are showing much interest in the new history study coming up January 1. Thank you all for your comments that have come in so far. I read each comment before they are posted here in this comment section and I am making notes of those that have written their interests in what they hope to learn with this study.

I want to welcome a very special blog reader that found the blog this year and she was born in "1935" and is as she puts it, she is 87.5 years young. So I hope everyone welcomes Shirley Kelly, below in the comment section. I am happy she is going to be with us reading along.
I feel good about our new 2023/1930s study and hope we all learn new things and that this helps us to get a new perspective of the 1930s and we find helpful information we can apply to our homes. :) Grandma Donna

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 4:21 PM CST

C. N. wrote

My favorite eras to read about are the 1930s and 1940s, so I am thrilled to hear about the new study--although I will miss reading about Lena's doings.

I'm always interested in how people spent what little leisure time they had: what books and movies and radio was popular? What crafts and hobbies could people afford to do?--those kind of things.

Thank you so much for these studies and posts. They give me so much enjoyment.

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 6:22 PM CST

JC wrote

Donna, I am so excited to know we will be studying the 1930's! My dear grandmother was a very young mother in the Great depression, and I used to love talking to her about it. I learned so much from her and have always tried to apply it to my own life. Yes, there were times I got "off-track" but managed to get back on it.
My grandparents had 6 children and granpy took on any work he could find along with hunting game and always had a big garden. They always ate a lot of vegetables with very little meat because they couldn't afford to buy it. So if they couldn't hunt it or raise it they simply didn't have it.
I have all old stuff in my home, I love the fact that it is not only useful but lovely to look at.
I do have a microwave, barely use it. I have a coffee machine but also a percolator. I could easily get the microwave put away but because I use propane for cooking...at this point it is cheaper to use the electric drip machine.
I will love following this new study, thank you!

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 7:13 PM CST

Elise wrote

Hello, I am very excited about the 1930's study! I
My favorite decades are the 1940s and 50's but I am so eager to learn about the 30's, as both sets of my grandparents were growing up during the Depression. I am a stay at home mom. My husband has just begun work as a first responder, which is a big pay cut for us, but he loves it and definitely feels called to it. I am trying to learn more about being a successful homemaker and to manage money better for our family. I am particularly interested in how women maintained their hair and skin from that era. I see fancy hairstyles in pictures but I would love to hear how the average homemaker cared for her hair and skin. Also, how did they fix their hair so beautifully without modern tools? What did tools or products did they have at their disposal?

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 7:41 PM CST

Debby in Kansas USA wrote

I look forward to the 1930s, Donna! I love reading about your studies. There's a great series of books called The Darling Dahlias set in the 30s. Small Town in Alabama, I think. It might be fun to read along.

I could easily do a study, but my husband would cry!! He loves when I read to him about them, but his interest ends there lol. He's perfectly content with all the modern junk. I've always believed I was born in the wrong era.

I'll read with great interest!

1,655 posts (admin)
Sun Nov 27, 22 7:54 PM CST

Kieva Adair wrote

Hello Gdonna,

I am mostly interested in the times of the great depression because I think we all can learn a thing or two about how they made it to apply to our times. I recently found a book at my local goodwill called Hard Times and it gives stories on how people lived then... random clips into random people's lives then. It is very informative though I haven't finished it yet...been pretty busy with homeschooling and house keeping. I love reading about the way they cooked, lit their houses, sewed, and kept their houses when things were scarce.

Now, I wanted to add a personal side note. Recently I sent you a letter (which I have never done before) and I hope it got to you well. I don't expect a hand written response or any response really (I am sure you have a lot of people writing you). I just thought it would be nice to do as our generations before did and send an actual handwritten letter. Also... I'M PREGNANT! Only 7.5 weeks along but this baby is very much wanted and loved already. My youngest son is 15 and oldest is 17 (he'll be 18 before this baby is born????) so this will be an adventure especially if baby turns out to be a girl this time ????. Anyway, thank you again for your posts and I hope you both are feeling well. God bless.

Kieva

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Nov 28, 22 1:12 AM CST

Lyn Silver wrote

Hello from Sydney, Donna, I hope you and Charles are well. Thanks for the compliment about our Aussie accent it’s nice to know that you think it’s beautiful.
Regarding your history project, you may be interested in a couple of Australian tv series called “Back in time for Dinner” and “Further Back in Time for Dinner”. An average Australian family were chosen to live through various periods of history, with the home decor matching the period, as well as the food, clothing, hairstyles and occupations of the various family members. There are short clips on YouTube but the full series can only be watched on Apple TV which requires a subscription. Here’s a clip of one of the trailers. https://youtu.be/rW3ulqOliF0
Enjoy.

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Nov 28, 22 2:38 AM CST

Marianne wrote

Hello Grandma Donna - I have always been drawn to the 50's because that was the year my mom and dad married. Although having been reading your blog for some years (and I am so happy that you have this comment section now, thank you :) I am really excited to do this study with you! I am very curious about the 30's now, especially since my parents were born then. I have already began looking through the old newspapers to get a feel for what life was like before 1930, I find it fascinating. Although I decided to follow a newspaper from a city where I always wanted to live in Northern Michigan ( I'm originally from Detroit) Im going to also try to find out as much about that time where I live now, In Bavaria Germany ( this will be a little challenge as my German is good but not fluent, but my husband is Bavarian and is excited about this project too) I also have my grandmother as a perfect role model for this study too, I must dig out the old photos! So, before I write a book, I just wanted to say thank you and I look forward to simplifying our life here and joining you in this wonderful study. I am more than ready for a good change in this unsteady world. Thank you again!

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Nov 28, 22 3:40 AM CST

Helen West wrote

I love your studies. I find I'm inspired to make small changes to the way we live after I read each article you publish. I'm drawn to 30's, 40's and 50's.
I hope you continue with the diaries - they are fascinating. I'm learning to appreciate a slower way of living, often inspired by your posts and the diaries.
I'm interested in homemaking skills of the times - such as recipes and housekeeping routines.

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Nov 28, 22 6:19 AM CST

Heidi wrote

Grandma Donna, please continue with the Depression study! I read a book from our library with snippets of things people remembered and it wasn't as much drudgery as the news made it. Most people got by and there were moments of joy as people pulled together. This is the forgotten message. It will be interesting to see the diaries. Also, would love to have the crochet pattern. Thank you so much for bringing the past back so we can incorporate it into the present.

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Nov 28, 22 12:42 PM CST

Ann lee s wrote

Hello Donna, this reply would be more appropriate 3weeks ago…it is about staying warm. I live in B.C. Canada, it is snowing lightly as I write. My home has poor insulation and cold floors. Aged 80 with bad feet…I managed to save $100 and had a pair of made to fit thick shearling wool slippers made, best money spent ever. Washable, comfy and always warm. They are now a few years old and still fine and warm. You can layer, wear beanies and close doors (I do all of it). But cold feet need help.

I also have a used sheepskin if anyone has very easy instructions to turn into slippers I would love to know how to do that.

Best wishes from Ann

1,655 posts (admin)
Mon Nov 28, 22 1:21 PM CST

Teri Pittman wrote

I've read a lot about the 30s and my grandmother lived through that. I can't actually live through it as I am still working. But will follow along with what I know.

« Previous Page 1  2 Next Page  » 
70 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close