About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: The Home A Picture In Words

1,655 posts (admin)
Tue Jan 26, 21 8:24 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article The home a picture in words, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

S
7 posts
Tue Jan 24, 23 9:46 PM CST

I am curious:  Where did the diaries come from?  Family?  Libraries?  

At first, I thought you were writing down a story of what might have been.  But your older posts, like this one, look like actual vintage diaries.

At any rate, I'm finding them motivating.

T
32 posts
Wed Jan 25, 23 8:41 AM CST

I remember Grandma Donna explained that somewhere already, and amazingly, they are all real diaries picked up at thrift-stores or similar places!  I'm a bit jealous:) 

I never find anything that cool at thrift-stores myself.

G
269 posts (admin)
Wed Jan 25, 23 11:54 AM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, S Scribbler, to answer your question where did my diaries come from.  All of the diaries that I have are authentic, original diaries.  My diaries start in the late 1800s and I do not collect anything past 1950s unless it comes with a lot.   I have collected diaries for many years from assorted places. I purchase them from antique stores, estate sales and online sellers.  I am particular about what I am looking for in a diary, something that represents the home and or the era. The diaries have gotten expensive now so I do not buy one very often.   I have also purchased a few budget journals and feel very thankful to have found them.  I like to share the diaries and  journals so others can learn from them as I do.  Some are very tattered and the pages darkened and pieces flake away so I have to be very careful handling them.  I have one that is so very small and I do not know what she used to write with because it is written with a very fine tip and I have to use a magnifying glass to read the words and the year is 1904.  The work was very hard long ago but the community they had was wonderful how they visited with one another regularly.  People "called" on one another in person, not on the phone.  

S
7 posts
Wed Jan 25, 23 8:59 PM CST

Wow.  thanks for the info....I'll keep my eye out at thrift stores.

K
12 posts
Tue Feb 07, 23 3:11 PM CST

Don’t know if I’m on the right page, but somewhere GDonna showed a drawing of an old truck. Wish I could show it to Mom (gone 10 years) because she often talked about her whole family piling into an old truck many weekends during the war. They’d walk everywhere during the week to save their gas rations to drive to visit the maternal grandparents who lived “in the country.” From her description, I think your representation must be close to what she remembered. FYI, before her mother died in 1944, there were already 8 children with twins on the way, so it was a truckload

Edited Tue Feb 07, 23 3:14 PM by Kathy D
6 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close