About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Chipping Away

1,685 posts (admin)
Wed Sep 25, 24 1:55 PM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Chipping Away, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

C
14 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 2:13 PM CST

We are in the path too.  In GA.  I am praying for all of us.  

Good job on getting the carpet up!  Doggies look lovely.

D
2 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 2:26 PM CST

One thing I respect about you is  the ability you seem to have that enables you to 'stay calm' amidst the storms of life.   Peace amidst the hard times comes from experience in previous hard things.     Cleaning out loved ones places and belongings is hard.

Your 'girls' will forgive you,and they look quite precious.

Today I baked a simple cake from a favorite 1941 cookbook.  Delving into the oldways just feels right, and has a way of connecting the past to the future, doesn't it?  The less drama  is a gift.   

Knowing you may not connect for a short while, be assured there are friends praying,    D.             [the little yellow knitting  on your needles is my favorite pattern for wash and dish cloths..]

M
24 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 3:05 PM CST

Offering prayers for all in the path! Here in the NC mountains we will have rain, wind, and flooding. We are ready!!! Be safe!! 

J
6 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 3:07 PM CST

GDonna,

I am praying for all in the path of the storm.  

The dogs look so cute, and they will forgive you because they love you.

It is hard work scraping up carpeting but better than having it tacked down. I think the floors will clean up beautifully. It is exciting to see other peoples houses and the way you are bringing it back to life.  

JC

G
16 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 3:08 PM CST

I will be in prayer for you and Charles, Donna. Also, for all in the path of the hurricane.

The hardwood floors will be so beautiful when refinished. It is truly hard to beat hardwood flooring. However, I am not a fan, at all, of tile. I do love linoleum for kitchens and baths.

Your sweet dogs look beautiful all groomed up.  They will be okay after they are done letting you know they are miffed. 

Many blessings and protection for you, Charles and your property.

Hugs,

Glenda

Edited Wed Sep 25, 24 3:09 PM by Glenda H_2
B
4 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 3:23 PM CST

Good afternoon, 

I am just reading this post after a moving van just left our house with all of my mother-in-law’s belongings. She is moving in to a senior living facility and we are getting ready to move out of state. Life always seems to have big changes and big challenges. 

Saying a prayer for your safety!

And I think those hardwood floors are going to be gorgeous

K
5 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 3:35 PM CST

Hi Grandma Donna, thank you for the inspiration to keep chipping away, when the list of things to do can be overwhelming.

Thoughts and prayers with you and all who are in the path of Helene.

I look forward to your next post saying you are fine and the house and property are untouched.

Kellie in Australia 

L
12 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 3:56 PM CST

We in the path as well and are prepping away to be ready.  We have 100 year old oaks near our house so we are praying for the trees to stay upright.  I have been praying for everyone to be spared so I am adding you and all those here to that list.    My sister is in Florida so I am very concerned for her.

D
32 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 4:17 PM CST

The pups look beautiful and great work on the floors. Praying for you and all in the path of the storm to be safe and your homes protected

L
52 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 5:28 PM CST

Will definitely keep you in my prayers~

Those floors are going to be gorgeous!  Work well worth it.  Take the storm time to recoup. 

K
3 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 8:38 PM CST

Sending prayers for everyone in the path of this storm especially Grandma Donna and Charles! 

3 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 8:41 PM CST

Prayers for everyone in the storm's path!!

L
12 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 8:49 PM CST

You may want to get an estimate on having the floors refinished.  I know there is a guy here who only charges a couple dollars a foot.  

C
3 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 9:20 PM CST

You are in my prayers. My 70 year old Aunt lives in St. Petersburg FLA, so you both need prayers. Please be very careful to protect your lungs and ears while sanding the glue and wood floors. It is very difficult not to inhale those chemicals and wood sandings. With my Asthma, I would hire someone to do that work and have the vent system cleaned as well. . They are sure to have the proper sanders with attachments to catch the particles, and wear proper protective equipment.  That is just my 2 cents after working as a Respiratory Therapist for many years. You only have one set of lungs. Protecting them it neccessary.

D
28 posts
Wed Sep 25, 24 11:11 PM CST

Sending prayers your way!

I wonder if that was common to glue carpet to hardwood floors?  What a shame, and a lot of work for you!  Our house has hardwood floors as well, but they were carpeted for the majority of the years since this house was built.  Still rough, especially in the bedrooms and high traffic areas. We hope to get them refinished someday

L
28 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 2:28 AM CST

Blessings being sent from the UK for all in the path of the hurricane, may you all keep safe and your homes untouched.

I had to smile at the expression of the doggies faces, they really do look rather grumpy about being groomed :-) I’ve started using my close clippers on my spaniel, the same one that I use to tidy up my horse’s legs, they are very quiet so neither of my animals are that bothered by them.

7 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 4:29 AM CST
Best wishes from Germany too! My thoughts are with you.
Best wishes from Sibylle
Maybe we'll meet on my blog sometime?
K
2 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 7:24 AM CST

Good morning! Praying for you, Charles and the dogs to be safe, and for the safety of all those in harm's way of this storm. 

C
2 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 8:11 AM CST

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.  I live in Western Australia and we are in spring having just come out of a wet winter.  Spring is cool but once we move into October it will warm up.  I have to say I am not a fan of summer.  Love autumn, winter (except for high winds) and early spring.  

T
68 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 8:13 AM CST

It looks like the center is going to pass really close to where you live.  Stay safe!

This also brings up another factor to consider about which house to keep.  Is either of them safer from hurricanes, due perhaps to being farther inland, or sheltered by natural landforms?

Keeping it simple in the woods of Michigan.
J
27 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 10:45 AM CST

Keep safe. I can’t imagine living in a hurricane region. We are getting a little fed up of all the rain in The Midlands, England

A
5 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 1:13 PM CST

You certainly worked hard on the floors, I know they will be beautiful when refinished. The girls look so pretty, their expressions made me laugh out loud.

Here in NC we are expecting rain, wind, flooding and potential power outages.Thoughts and prayers for you, Charles and everyone who is in the path of the storm. 

Angela

P
5 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 1:18 PM CST

You are in my thoughts, I hope all the best for you, Charles and the cute dogs. It‘s rainy and windy here but far away from a hurricane. Stay safe 

40 posts
Thu Sep 26, 24 6:17 PM CST

Just checked the radar map.  Looks like the hurricane is coming right at you.  We will be getting some of the rain from that event which we really need after about 2 months of almost no rain at all.  Hope you all come through unscathed and don't have any more damage to your house.  Take care and let everyone know when things have settled down there.  Love Victoria

K
102 posts
Fri Sep 27, 24 2:16 AM CST

Prayers for you and Charles, your children and grandchildren. For your property to be unscathed. All the skills you have for being prepared for emergencies will come into play. The Lord will watch over you and I pray His angels will encamp themselves around you. Sending love

K
102 posts
Fri Sep 27, 24 3:28 AM CST

On the NZ news just now it said the Hurricane has been downgraded from a Category 4 to a Category 2 as it's moving inland. Still considered dangerous but praise the Lord it's not as strong now.

27 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close