About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Spring Like Gardening And The Other Things

1,655 posts (admin)
Wed Mar 08, 23 1:25 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Spring Like Gardening and The Other Things, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

L
1 posts
Wed Mar 08, 23 6:31 AM CST

Hi Donna. 
I do enjoy your stories. They remind me of when I was a little girl and seeing my grandparents work in the garden and then enjoy the food they grew at dinner. Oh the simple times that you don’t know to appreciate when you are a child. You are such a hard worker and I truly hope your pacemaker journey will be successful. Take some time for  YOU every now and then 

B
4 posts
Wed Mar 08, 23 8:21 AM CST

I appreciate your sharing your trials but still plowing ahead! It's a good reminder.  I too have some physical issues but I keep going. But I had to remind my husband the other day that even though he's seeing me up and down all day during the weekend doing stuff (when he's home from work) that doesn't mean I'm not in pain or having some difficulties. I used to not saying anything at all but I realized that was actually misleading as my husband and adult children (who don't live at home) didn't understand I was pushing through a lot of physical issues I kept to myself. Then they would be confused when I needed to say no to something or interrupted their activities for help as I seemed  "fine".

If my husband doesn't feel good he has the luxury of sitting until he feels better. I have a genetic condition that will never go away and is actually breaking my body down. So sitting can help with pain in the short term (when I just can't move at all) but I think keeping busy is probably better for me in the long term as I've read that too much sitting isn't good for anyone. Plus sitting isn't going to make me better. 

My husband said appreciated me reminding him because sometimes he'd wonder especially as I've been really busy lately.  

J
50 posts
Wed Mar 08, 23 9:09 AM CST

Cherokee Purple, so good!  Those and the heirloom Black Cherry and White Currant tomatoes were some of our favorites.  My husband used to eat tomatoes all day long, but I can't tolerate them well anymore, so I don't grow them now that he's in a nursing home.  He can no longer eat them like he used to, either. 

I'm trying to add more edibles to our yard, although I don't want to make it so much I can't care for it as I get older, especially since we have over an acre for a yard.  Your yard looks like you are getting use of almost every square inch.  It looks great!  

Good luck on your appointments and surgery.  May it all go well, smoothly with great results.   

C
10 posts
Wed Mar 08, 23 10:31 AM CST

Grandma Donna,

Your yard looks wonderful. Thank you for reminding us all to keep going even if we don't feel 100%. I do appreciate you letting us know about your pacemaker. Praying that all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

L
44 posts
Wed Mar 08, 23 12:33 PM CST

Sure enjoy seeing your garden.  You are so far ahead of us in weather/garden.  I am just starting my seeds inside and getting my first little sproutlings.  I'm not in a rush this year.  I have several things to finish up before the spring rush hits.

Also, me thinks you are the bionic woman! ????  You are such an inspiration in so many ways.

A
7 posts
Wed Mar 08, 23 2:26 PM CST

You are an inspiration, Gdonna!  I love your posts.  I will do the worrying for you on the pacemaker issues.  I am good at that!  Just ask my family :)  Since you have been so upfront with us, I think that explains your fatigue lately.  Keep moving, but rest when you "should"...

G
269 posts (admin)
Wed Mar 08, 23 10:20 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Thank you Laura A, I did take some time today, I took time to finally paint the bedroom :)  Need a second coat tomorrow. 

Benni T, much of our pain issues are invisible and people cannot see that we are in pain.  I feel that is frustrating for many people with pain that they do not feel understood.  Sometimes small tasks are more painful than big tasks.  I can did a hole in the dirt with a shovel but standing at the sink washing dishes is very painful.  I may describe my pain to Charles more than he cares to know but he is always kind to me about it.  Now he is starting to have pain and understands. 

Joan S, Thank you Joan and yes, we use every sunny spot we can find. Maybe you could add more perennials to your garden so they come back each year. 

Carol S, Thank you for your prayers that is so important . Wish I had a heart Icon, here is a O circle full of love. :)

Lady L, You mention the spring rush and that seems to come on so quickly. Our false spring is causing more work this year to keep things from getting too cold after having a very hot day.  It feels like the past several years we skip spring and go straight to very hot summer.

Ann P, we need to put you and my daughter in a room together, I wonder what your conversation would sound like since you both are worriers.  You are probably very empathetic too, just like my daughter.  You are just made this way. :)

S
12 posts
Thu Mar 09, 23 5:44 AM CST

In Denmark we had a snowstorm yesterday and -10C today, very odd. And I'm in a springy mood, ha. Wishing you lots of luck on your surgery. :)

A
41 posts
Thu Mar 09, 23 10:23 AM CST

Thank you for the information on your pacemaker! I will keep you in my prayers.  Also it's nice to see your garden and how it's coming. I do miss "real" gardening. In southern AZ it's not quite the same as I grew up where there was actually dirt!  So far here, we've had 5 snow days and a lot of rain which is highly unusual and quite unwanted. All the barometer changes wreaked havoc on my allergies ending up with a bad case of vertigo which I'm nursing. Looking forward to getting back to normal both with the allergy/vertigo issue and some normal weather. Today is a beautiful day and hope to do some gardening planning!  Start small you say - and I'm going to do it! 

R
12 posts
Thu Mar 09, 23 11:46 AM CST

We're seeing snow today here in southern Iowa, which isn't unusual at all. Even though I'm always looking forward to spring this time of year I enjoy a good snowfall in March. It's so beautiful and I know it won't stay on the ground for long. The worst part is the mud that comes as it melts.  Prayers for you and Charles concerning your pacemaker issues and thank you for keeping us posted. I love your outlook on aging and pain. You are such an inspiration. My husband gets so frustrated with the aches and pains that have started to hit due to aging and I keep reminding him how blessed we are that we can still get up and do what needs to be done. If it takes a little longer than it used too, then so be it. It will still get done!

14 posts
Sat Mar 11, 23 4:20 PM CST

Hello Donna dear,

I shall pray for you about your surgery and the recovery time. Please let us know just when it will be. I'm 57 and have had breast cancer, complications, and much pain through the years. You make me feel like I can and should just keep going and doing as much as I can. Thank you very much for sharing your reality with us. Sometimes life seems too perfect when I read about it on the internet.

God bless you and Charles!

Laura Lane

Carthage, Missouri where the weather just cannot decide what to do!

The LORD bless you!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
http://harvestlanecottage.com
L
8 posts
Sun Mar 12, 23 8:02 PM CST

I, too, am encouraged by your determination to get things done.  I keep telling myself to "suck it up buttercup", but it's going to take some work.  Heart is fine, but knees are lousy. 

I did have an off topic question:  is there any way to read all your posts in order?  Like many of the others I find comfort in your posts and in doing some things the old fashioned way.  Quite a bit of stress at our house right now and the gdonna blog in sequential order would almost feel like a comfy novel :)

G
269 posts (admin)
Sun Mar 12, 23 8:15 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, thank you everyone for you comments, I enjoy reading your comments.  To answer your question Lissa G. When you are on my blog, the top menu section shows Living like the past or cooking from scratch and different topics.  If you click on one of them such as living like the past, you scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see numbers and that will take you all the way back.  Our progression is quite different from the beginning but this is how you start from the beginning. Also if you want to search something to see if I have it on my blog then there is a search bar on the main page if you are using a computer, and use it to find articles.  I hope this helps and I hope that your stress will let up soon and everything go back to calm.  

A
41 posts
Mon Mar 13, 23 10:17 AM CST
Lissa G wrote:

I, too, am encouraged by your determination to get things done.  I keep telling myself to "suck it up buttercup", but it's going to take some work.  Heart is fine, but knees are lousy. 

I did have an off topic question:  is there any way to read all your posts in order?  Like many of the others I find comfort in your posts and in doing some things the old fashioned way.  Quite a bit of stress at our house right now and the gdonna blog in sequential order would almost feel like a comfy novel :)

I did this. Started from the beginning and yes, it WAS a comfy novel. I never had so much peace. But now that I've finished it all, the anxiety has crept back in.  I SO wish this was all in print, like a book. I'm starting it over. There is just something about it all that is peaceful.  I had to keep track of my page numbers and to make it easier, I'd just bookmark it, then delete the old bookmark and add the bookmark to where I left off.   

L
8 posts
Mon Mar 13, 23 12:36 PM CST

yes, I’ve read them via topic in order, but it would be nice to read them in posted order. I’m drawing a blank on the name of Donna’s Australian friend who wrote several books and had a blog, but her writings are soothing as well. Plus, there are chickens which make me happy 

G
269 posts (admin)
Mon Mar 13, 23 12:43 PM CST

Grandma Donna wrote, Lissa G that would be Rhonda Hetzel at Down to Earth Blog. :) A very good place to read wonderful articles on simple living.  Rhonda has recently retired from writing on her blog but she has left it open and left everyone with a wonderful library full of articles to read.  She remains active over on Instagram. 

17 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close