About gDonna
The photo is my son and myself. Now days you can get a photo made to look old like this one. This photo was taken when this was the new look.

Harry S Truman was president when I was born and world war II had ended. I grew up in a time when lunch was put in a brown paper bag and a sandwich was wrapped with wax paper. There was no such thing as pantyhose, we wore stockings that attached to the rubbery clippy things that attached to the girdle. Convenience stores were not common and when we took a trip we packed a picnic basket because many places did not have fast food. Highways had places to pull over and stop, some with picnic tables. Read more ....

Donna's Diary Posts

My Favorite Blog and Books
Recent Posts
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
You will still receive notifications of replies to topics you are part of even if you do not subscribe to new topic emails.

Comments On Article: Final Diary Reading For Lil And Bob 1943 Plus Bonus Information

1,656 posts (admin)
Thu Dec 08, 22 1:13 AM CST

If you would like to share your comments for article Final Diary Reading for Lil and Bob 1943 plus Bonus Information, this is where to do it! 

Click the Reply To This Topic button below to post yours.

1,656 posts (admin)
Thu Dec 08, 22 7:09 AM CST

Paula Alexandra Santos wrote

Hi, Grandma Donna!
Although is sad to know that almost 2 years after her last entry in the diary, Bob and Lil died, I'm glad to have been able to participate a bit in their lives, even if it was almost 80 years later. Like you say, it's like we are their neighbours!
I'm glad to know that they had a full life and that she married Bob, after loosing her husband. It seems to me that they were a happy couple. :)
About what I learned from reading her diary, I can say I learned that they worked hard, even at home and that even so they visited each other a lot. And were contented, I think.
They helped each other and had simpler lives, even having to do more work and chores than we do today.
Thank you for letting us be a part of Lil and Bob's lives!

This comment was transferred from our old comments section.

1,656 posts (admin)
Thu Dec 08, 22 9:01 AM CST

Victoria wrote

I thought it was interesting to see how much visiting from friends, neighbors, and relatives went on. Sounds as though a good bit of it was just dropping in to visit, not a real scheduled thing for them. Very unlike today-----not many people are at home during the day to do any visiting. Also a lot of going down town to shop, almost daily. None of this once a week shopping, although if they didn't have a car or gasoline was short (certainly a lots of that happening during that time) that was a sensible way to get groceries etc.

1,656 posts (admin)
Thu Dec 08, 22 3:34 PM CST

Lisa from Indiana wrote

It's interesting to me that Bob did a lot of the shopping, and also that they ate simple foods and meals. Unlike today where we feel pressured to fix fancy stuff and try to make everyone happy.

1,656 posts (admin)
Thu Dec 08, 22 3:59 PM CST

Andrea wrote

Hello, I have thought a lot about all these diaries and what life was like. I sure wish people visited as much in person as they used too. I remember my grandparents having next door neighbors just randomly stopping by or chatting over the fence even if but for a minute. We haven't talked to any of our neighbors ( there's 5 of them) in over 2 months and some since spring. Seems as if everyone is afraid to even say hello anymore. It's really a shame. I forget especially in this diary their age because they didn't seem to slow down and were so active in every aspect of there lives. The social aspect is a huge role I'm sure. Definitely interesting to know about her remarrying. I think that's wonderful that she was able to and how sweet it was to learn they passed so close together. They must of truly loved each other. Thank you for sharing that part of their lives. :)

1,656 posts (admin)
Thu Dec 08, 22 5:18 PM CST

Darlene from Ohio wrote

This has been bittersweet for me. Reading her diary has made me feel like I kind of know Lil and Bob. And it was so sad to know that they are gone. I mean, of course they have passed away, but it felt like it was just today. I am happy to know what happened to them and a bit more of their history. But I am sad to close this chapter.

I think I learned from Lil to keep doing little bits each day. She didn't run herself ragged, but did things each day to keep it all done up. And I do think that visiting in person is important and something we have lost. Face to face contact is so much better than texts and emails. Those are fine for long distance, but if you are close enough to visit face to face...do it. It will enrich your life. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it! ;-)

6 total messages
Please log in or Create an account to post or reply to topics.
Loading more pages
Loading more pages

NEW! Join the mailing list to get email notifications when new articles are posted to our site.

Your information is safe with us and won't be shared.

Thank you for joining! 

IMPORTANT! 
You were sent an email to confirm your subscription to our mailing list.
Please click the link in that email to confirm or you won't be added.
If you have not received the email within a few minutes please check your spam folder. 

Loading More Photos
Scroll To Top
Close Window
Close